Chapter nine

Y/n POV

I shot up in bed, panting. The first thing I noticed was that the room I was in was full of people. The second, I was no longer in the horrid hospital room I had come to call my own. Third, was that half the people in the room seemed to be made up of shadows.

As soon as I noticed this, the shadows disappeared and the people turned to face me. I recognized Akutagawa, Mori, and Elise but the fourth man was a mystery to me. He had reddish hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. He was shorter than everyone else in the room, except Elise, probably about my height. With much effort I pointed at the stranger with my right hand.

I heard Akutagawa let out a small gasp that no one else seemed to have noticed.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Nakahara Chuuya, Mafia executive." He responded coldly.

I nodded my head, recognizing his name from Dazai's rants.

"Okay." I said, letting my hand fall heavy to my side once more.

"Are you aware," Mori began angrily, "That you have killed several people?"

"What?" I asked, horribly confused.

"Yes, important office workers." He said, a smile slipping onto his face and satisfaction replacing the anger in his tone.

"I didn't!" I cried out, "the shadows, th-"

"Who do you think is controlling the shadows?" interrupted Mori.

The room was silent.

"What did you do to me?" I asked in a voice barely loud enough to be heard, eyes focused on my blanket covered lap.

"We made you better!" exclaimed Mori happily, "You are project X, the first successfully manmade ability user! What will you call your newfound ability, your new gift that I've succeeded in giving to you?"

"Friends." I said without really thinking.

"Interesting choice!" laughed Mori, clearly amused, "from now on you will be training with Akutagawa under Chuuya."

"Welcome to the mafia!" cried Elise.

"I thought Akutagawa-san was training under Dazai-san." I said more to myself than anyone actually in the room.

As the words left my lips, everyone visibly stiffened.

"Ah well," said Mori nervously, "that was before the incident... Anyway, all you need to know is that he is now training under Chuuya and you will be too."

"Okay."

That was four years ago.

So much has changed since then.

status: edited October 26th 2023

editing author: guys this story means so much to me. I love it so much. like,, I have no words. I dont even know why i love it so much I just do.