Chapter Thirteen

Y/n POV

We all exited the tea house together, Kunikida looked very annoyed at having to take time out of his schedule for me and Dazai was rapidly whispering into his phone.

"Who was that?" I asked him, vaguely suspicious, once he had hung up.

"Just setting up an appointment for you!" He said cheerily, "So, y/n-chan, how have you been?"

"Surprisingly good." I said with a half hearted laugh, "everything got a lot better once I started living in allies."

"You don't have a home!?" shrieked Dazai.

I covered my ears with my hands.

"Geeze Osa-san, why would I have a-"

There was a click.

I had heard it loud and clear but, it didn't seem that anyone else had. It sounded like a gun cocking and, judging from the volume and pitch, it was close.

The world began to move in slow motion. I caught a glimpse of something metallic in an upper window of one of the buildings we were passing. A rifle.

Following where it was aimed, my eyes came to rest upon a group of tourists loudly conversing in an unknown language.

The gun went off.

Everyone turned to face the source of the sound but me.

"Friends, save them." I said quietly under my breath.

A wall of shadows shot up around the group of people, catching the bullet.

Kunikida and Dazai turned to face me.

I held my hand out expectantly and the wall of shadows disappeared, leaving a single, small shadow in the shape of a child. It cheerfully jumped over to me, depositing the bullet in my hand before disappearing too.

"Hmm..." I said, turning it over in my palm, "it's not real. Would have only caused a bruise, let me guess Osa-san. Some kind of weird test to see if I'm worthy of the Agency? Did I pass?"

Dazai nodded weakly.

"Great!" I said, letting the bullet fall from my hand, "let's go."

Once at the Agency, Dazai quickly ushered me up to an office. As soon as I stepped through the door, I saw him.

Fukuzawa Yukichi.

The head of the Armed Detective Agency.

"Hello, I am L/n F/n but everyone calls me y/n!" I said cheerfully.

"I am Fukuzawa Yukichi, head of the Armed Detective Agency, Dazai, why is she here?"

"She passed the test boss." said Dazai happily.

"What is your ability, Y/n-chan?" asked Fukuzawa, turning to me.

"My ability?" I repeated, "Friends. I can control the shadows. It also gives me heightened senses and sometimes my skin lights up although I don't know how to control that aspect."

"I've never heard of someone like you, multiple abilities?" said Fukuzawa under his breath, "I didn't think that was possible."

"It shouldn't be." I said bitterly, "but try and tell Mori-san he can't do something."

"You're from the mafia?" asked Fukuzawa calmly.

"Yes, she is." said Dazai, stepping into the conversation, "She was kidnapped by the mafia four years ago. I knew her for a brief time and, tried to help her escape but was unable to."

"Why didn't you just use your ability?" asked Fukuzawa, "it seems incredibly powerful and, even when people can't control them, abilities tend to manifest in dire circumstances."

"You really think I was born like this?" I laughed, "no sir! If I was, I wouldn't have all these scars."

I rolled up my left sleeve and Dazai's eyes grew wide.

"I thought they cut off your left pinky..." he mumbled.

"Yeah and I regrew it." I said coldly, "you knew what else I regrew? My right hand. I could tell when you left, you know why? They cut my hand off. You know how I got out? That subordinate you always treated like trash."

"Akutagawa helped you out of the Mafia?" said Dazai in wonderment.

"yeah." I said coldly before turning back to Fukuzawa, "So, when can I start?"

Status: edited October 26th, 2023