Chapter Fifty Two

a/n I guess this scene was destined for four chapters. Also, go check out my new Dazai x reader X Chuuya fic I'm working on called To See You Again if you are interested! I really like the way it is going so far.

Atsushi POV

Y/n had wrapped us in her shadows as we fell to protect us from harm. The whole time I had been fighting for Kyouka's life, she had just stood by the door in silence. I could see why she had called it possession when she had brought it into being, she was not herself.

Grief crashed over me in waves as I coughed up salt water, Y/n, Akutagwa, and Herman standing silently and looking out over the sea.

"Why?" I found myself asking, "Why her?"

"She was a fool." Akutagawa said, coughing into his hand, "If she hadn't embraced the hope of living in light, she wouldn't have had to die in vain."

His words hurt, I felt tears forming in my eyes.

"This is how it ought to have been, Atsushi-kun." came Dazai's voice and I looked up to see both he and the President standing before me, "Kouyka-chan overcame herself and saved the city with the high-mindedness expected of the Agency."

"But there was no reason she had to die!" I exclaimed, getting to my feet.

"True, this is a merciless conclusion, but there was a reason it had to be this way."

Y/n and Akutagawa turned at the sound of his voice, leaving Herman alone to look out at the wreckage of his ability. Seeming to come alive again, Y/n lurched forward.

"This fucking guy." she mumbled under her breath, "Should I kill him too Ryu? He is the scum that causes the worst sort of pain after all."

It was only now I came to realize that she was covered in Francis' blood. Her milky eyes fixed on Dazai, she continued her slow advance.

"Whats this?" he wondered aloud.

"You hurt Ryu." Y/n mumbled, "You hurt him, I should kill you for that, you deserve to die for that. You're utterly heartless. You are the wreckage of the world."

I looked over at Akutagawa.

"Can't you stop her?"

"She'll tire herself out eventually." he answered.

"You... you hurt him... I'll kill you.... I'll...." 

"Y/n, rest." he finally commanded, responding to my pleading gaze.

With his words, Y/n collapsed. Akutagawa caught her in his arms as she did so.

Dazai watched calmly as Akutagawa kneeled on the ground, placing Y/n's head gently in his lap and brushing a stray strand of hair from her face as he did so. Slowly, the shadows retreated from the home they'd found beneath her skin, melting into the ground around her.

"You deserve it, Bug." he said softly to the sleeping girl.

"Why did it have to be this way?" I asked, turning back to Dazai.

"My ability, All Men are Created Equal, only effects my subordinates, that is, the members of the Agency." the President responded.

"The ability allows for control over the output of the abilities of another." Dazai quickly explained, "The reason you're able to control your tiger abilities now is because you joined the Agency. Kyouka-chan passed the entrance exam right in the instant before impact. Do you understand what that means?"

She landed on the ground softly in front of me, a sheepish expression on her face.

"I used Demon Snow's katana to cut the chain and escape." a smile made it's way across her face as she spoke, "I'm back."