GN!Reader ┆ ✦ Reflection

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

                          - Dan Heng sees the reflection of his original form, a reflection he recognizes, but not as his own

                          - Dan Heng sees the reflection of his original form, a reflection he recognizes, but not as his own. He gazes into the sea with a million sorrows crushing him.
Before he can disguise himself, you find him. And luckily, you brought your listening ear with you.

                         ◣━━━━━━━━━━━◢

Salty waves crashed upon the sandy shore of Scalegorge Waterscape. Sun rays shone down from between rain-bearing clouds. The colors of sunset washed in through the monochrome clouds, battling them for dominance over the weather over the beach-like location. Amidst the cool atmosphere sat a Vidyadhara descendant, his expression pained and troubled. He crouched before the waters, barely batting an eye at the waves that lapped at the soles of his shoes. In the disturbed sea he gazed, his turquoise eyes deep with longing as he watched his distorted reflection.
Even with the churning sea, he could still vividly see himself. Or what he calls himself.

He is no one's shadow. That's always been how he thought of his situation with his predecessor. All rebirth is to him is passing on the flame, not restarting one's own life. He sees himself as an entirely different person compared to Dan Feng— yet he still bares an uncanny resemblance to him. That horrible thing from the depths of High Elder Hell haunts him even outside of his most gruesome nightmares.

His reflection is not his own. It's just someone else's that he claims to be his, forcing him to shoulder agony unlike any other. Being treated with basic decency is out of the question— all because he shares one thing with his predecessor. One cursed face. That same face that makes him sick just looking at.

In the heat of his bubbling rage, Dan Heng's ghostly dragon's tail thwacked the surface of the sea, causing his reflection to disperse until it was unrecognizable. Even though it was distorted to his eyes, his soul recognized it. He knew it was still there. And unfortunately, his scales had begun throbbing with pain from the force of his attack on the waves of the innocent sea.

Dan Heng folded his arms over his knees, burying his sorrowful face into his forearms. He could run, hide, and conceal his true appearance behind as many facades as he wished; but it was always there beneath his every attempt. That horrible reflection. That reflection that causes him so much pain. What a disgusting thing it is.

"...no." Dan Heng choked out. He whined to his mind to not torment him— but alas, it had already started.

"You are no better than him!" Says his mind.

"A reflection does not lie. You can only run for so long before they find out the hideous creature you are. They will see your sins and hate you for it— then, you will be all alone again."

Thorns catch in Dan Heng's bleeding throat, the blood that he finds himself unable to cough up evacuating his body through his eyes, where salty tears begin to pour. Dan Heng buried his face further into his forearms, sobbing into his sleeves with his dark hair dispersed over his back and shoulders.