GN!Reader ┆ ✦ A Dream's Edge

╰┈➤ Someone has fallen

╰┈➤ Someone has fallen. Caelus is heartbroken from this, and while he mourns, he returns to the place where a picture of perfect memories was taken. There, he simply undoes.

PENACONY SPOILER WARNING!!!
        ─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

     The stars fell from the sunset sky of orange and blue hues. The clouds gathered near and over the flaming sun of orange-red, turning white clouds dark and black. Deep, fiery orange lined the shapes of the clouds that stormed no longer, having cried all of their rainfall hours before. When you lifted your head, there were thousands of shining stars overhead, yet the sunset was still in sight. This rooftop showcased the perfect view of what dreams are made of. A gust of wind carried your partner's gray hair about as he approached the railing that separated him from a painful plummet. He gazed out at the trails of stardust that followed falling stars, their light merging with that of the vast sunset with their final, supernova-like cry. You could see the stars reflections in Caelus' pupils, his golden optics beginning to be consumed by his pupils until the sunset was almost entirely mirrored through his eyes alone. You gazed deep into his beautiful eyes as they began to fill with bitter tears.
Caelus' eyebrows knitted as he pulled a polaroid picture from his pocket. He held the photo up to the sun while gazing upon it with his eyes pouring tears. A soft, forced smile appeared on his lips. "Do... do you think she'll forgive me?" Asked Caelus, his tears evidently straining his voice as he attempted to withhold them.
"I think she will," you replied calmly as you offered Caelus your hand. His gloved hand found your skin, where he held on tight as he squeezed his eyes shut. He placed the cherished picture to his chest as he broke down into sobs. "She was never mad at you. It was never your fault." You reminded him, your tone gentle as you cradled his hand in yours.

You used your free hand to gingerly accept the picture from Caelus' hand as he hid in your collarbone to bawl. He cried so quietly, his every snivel and gasp for air muffled by the collar of your shirt. You leaned your head upon his. The death of Firefly was gruesome. She was impaled brutally in the Dreamscape, seemingly at the same time as Robin. Losing them critically impacted Caelus' mental state, causing it to take a lethal plummet. Seeing such a cheerful and unserious person slowly crumble emotionally was the most painful thing to ever witness. It was like a punishment straight from the very depths of hell itself.

Grief takes everyone down with it. You could barely keep yourself from shedding tears as Caelus screamed into your clothes. His sobs were earth-shattering as he leaned into your embrace, his very soul beginning to die as you struggled to comfort him. You knew that this would eventually pass, but that could never bring Firefly back to him. At the end of the day, she passed on, to another side of the universe— one that you and Caelus will not see for decades to come. He'll be separated from her, a dear friend, until the day where his painful defeat consumes him.
Grief makes the entire world seem bleak. As Caelus cried and cried, he sobbed out desperate pleas between an occasional "I'm not gonna make it". You held onto him tightly, your warmth protecting him from the harsh wind that stirred up unnatural in the Dreamscape. Assuming it was from the weight of Caelus' sorrows, you happily turned your back towards the direction of the relentless winds. You shielded Caelus with a small smile, hoping to bring forth even a slight hint of comfort and consolation in his darkest hour of life.

While you could never bring his friend back to him, you knew that you could hold him and bring warmth back to him. You couldn't stop the nightmares, the tears, the memories, and you could never undo all of the pain, but you'd do your absolute best to make it all feel worth it in the end. You'd protect what Firefly loved so dearly even if it killed you in the end. All you wanted was to see Caelus smile again. That was all you so desperately craved. Your eyes were sore from seeing him frown and cry. Though you knew he needed to, it made your heart ache. Seeing him so full of emotion, it was alien to you. When it first arrived, you thought it was just the Dreamscape. But this was all real. While this location was fabricated, Caelus' tears and his anguish was real. Your desperation to keep him from falling apart was very real.
And maybe you'd never fulfill that desperation. It seemed as though it was the end of an era. The end of a person that once existed, that could only exist once in a million lifetimes.

It seemed as though Caelus, your Trailblazer, would never be the same.
And that's okay.