GN!Reader ┆ ✦ Chance Encounter

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

                          - After a chance encounter with Blade, you notice Dan Heng folding his arms(a self-soothing tactic)

- After a chance encounter with Blade, you notice Dan Heng folding his arms(a self-soothing tactic). So, you attempt to cheer him up by smothering him in love.

◣━━━━━━━━━━━◢

Your muscles ached from the exertion of the entanglement against Blade as you strode casually through the Exalting Sanctum. Leaves of vibrant yellow fell to the ground before vanishing all around the area. Warm hues of lights dotted the scenery to combat the dark state of the sky. Upon looking up, there was a sea of stars to be seen.

However, as your gaze shot to your left, you noticed that Dan Heng had slowed down. His pace no longer matched yours. You halted entirely. His stance was like when you first met him— stiff, tense and in a self-hugging manner. His arms were folded in a way that looked very similar to embracing himself. Not only that, his eyes were fixated on the ground beneath his feet. He gave off a distant air, one that he had learned to drop after meeting you.

"Hey," you briefly nudged his forearm with your elbow. "You okay?" You asked.
Dan Heng's blue-gray eyes shifted as he lifted his head to look into your eyes. He offered a faint nod of his head. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me."
Your expression knitted with worry. He did this quite often, but as of recently, he eased out of the habit and began to find comfort in being more open. "Here, wanna go to that gazebo place?" You offered him your hand with a gentle smile.

When your hand extended outwards in invitation, Dan Heng seemed to lean back. Sensing he didn't want to be touched, you instead used your extended hand to gesture him forth. This brought a soft, almost happy expression to his features as he began walking in pace with you.

"So, DH, I heard from Lady Bailu that Aurum Alley has new snacks for us to try. We should go there soon." Your happy voice sparked a bit of comfort in Dan Heng's aura.
He nodded faintly. "Sure. Whenever you would like to go, I'll follow." He replied.
While he replied, you eyed his body language closely. Upon further inspection, you took note of the way his fingers rubbed at his own upper arms. He seemed slightly jittery. Then again, you can't blame him.

You walked casually up the flight of stairs leading up to the gazebo that extends out from the edge of the Exalting Sanctum. Within its open walls houses a unique instrument called a Guzheng, one that you have had a major interest in for quite some time. It is rarely ever played, and thus, you sometimes tend to the plucking instrument to prevent rusting.

After clearing the stairs, you peeked over your shoulder to observe Dan Heng. He returned your gaze, though his expression remained mostly neutral. You then offered him a small thumbs-up before walking directly beneath the roof of the glorious gazebo-like structure. On your way inside, you carefully avoided the Guzheng stand in the center. Dan Heng did the same, though he soon became enthralled with the clouds below. They were absolutely beautiful, like a blanket of pure imagination. It felt like being immersed in a wonderful dream.

You leaned upon the banister of the red fencing surrounding the structure. "Hey, DH?" You asked to break the hanging silence. Your eyes fixed upon the falling leaves of yellow that soared past your face and beneath the clouds.
Dan Heng turned his attention towards you, though he barely moved his head. "Yes?" He responded, his tone soft.
"C'mere, please." You gestured with a flick of your wrist, capturing one of the yellow petals of Abundance in between your index and middle fingers. Dan Heng approached you hesitantly, but willingly. You righted your posture. You then slowly placed the fallen leaf into his dark hair, admiring as soon as it rested neatly behind his ear. "Hehe, you look beautiful."

Despite his on-edge demeanor since the battle against Blade, Dan Heng cracked into a faint smile. His cheeks flushed red beneath his eyeliner, leaving their color nearly paling in comparison. You showed him a massive grin, afterwards offering him your hand once again. This time, Dan Heng slid his hand into yours.
"We don't have to go back there for a long time," you said while your fingers interlocked with his. "You're safe, Dan Heng."
He stared into your eyes for several moments. After that, he looked down at his hand in yours and showed you yet another smile. But even behind smiling eyes, you saw sorrow.

You gave his arm a firm tug. Dan Heng, taken by surprise, stumbled forth. Before he could truly react, you had already pulled him into a tight embrace that left his eyes wide and his jaw slightly open. You placed your hand on the back of his head, smiling as you held onto him.
He soon returned your hug, snickering as he buried his face into your neck. "Hm.. thank you."
Your immediate response was a genuine laugh followed by a gentle squeeze to deepen the embrace. Dan Heng's chin met your shoulder, and in that moment, you could feel the previous pain fleeing his body. His entire frame relaxed into you.

"Hey, we should totally get snacks soon." You whispered into his ear before placing a small kiss on his jawline.
Dan Heng's ears turned red as soon as your lips touched his skin. He pressed a tad closer to you. "Let's stay like this for just a little longer."
You nodded eagerly as you began petting his hair. "Yeah, of course. We can stay like this for as long as you want."

Just as his heated face reached your neck, you could feel his ear-to-ear smile. In an instant, you'd begun giddily giggling and squeezing Dan Heng tighter. You could even hear him giggling a bit.
"Oh my Aeons, you giggly schoolgirl—" you laughed after saying that.
Dan Heng squeezed you tightly as he attempted to hide his laughter by burying his face in your clothes. "What— I'm not giggly," you could hear laughter in his voice. "You're the giggly one."
Before you could even reply, a tiny snort interrupted you. Instantly, you began hysterically laughing. "Did you just snort—?"
Unable to resist, Dan Heng bursted out into laughter. He had begun laughing so hard that he couldn't even reply to you.

By that time, you felt as though your knees would cave from laughing so hard. Dan Heng had already backed away from your chest so he could catch his breath after nearly suffocating on laughter. It felt good to see him smile so wide and laugh so hard— maybe it just felt right to see him live the way he deserves to.

"I'm gonna tell March that you snort when you la—" before you could finish your sentence, a ghostly tail of turquoise thwacked into your chest. You responded with a small 'oof!' before beginning to laugh again.
Dan Heng waved you off with pure embarrassment, attempting to hide his face in the palm of his hand. You immediately grabbed your phone, snapping a picture of a precious moment among many.

"Oh, no, I heard that," Dan Heng huffed with shame. "Delete that, if March sees it, I'll never live it down.." he shifted his fingers to peer at you through his hands.
You immediately took yet another photo. "Sorry, sorry. You're just really beautiful. I'll get rid of them now, okay?"
He flushed once more at your compliment, and still hidden behind his hands, he nodded his head. "..thank you."

But by that time, your phone had begun ringing with texts from the Astral Express crew— all except for Dan Heng, seeing how he was with you. While both you and his phones buzzed with activity, you offered him your hand once more. Just a small ounce of trust is all it takes to take the next step towards a long journey.
Dan Heng, prepared to accept the road ahead and forget the trials of the past, placed his warm hand into yours. "We should get back soon before Himeko comes out to look for us."
You smiled at him, curling your fingers around his gloved hand. With a tiny step forth, you stood shoulder-to-shoulder with your companion.

Both you and Dan Heng chatted away about everything that you two love and cherish while walking back to the Astral Express.

The yellow leaf of Abundance in his hair fades, leaving behind a trail of sparkles in its wake. Even though it is long gone, Dan Heng will never forget it— and he hopes you will do the same.