GN!Reader * PLATONIC ┆ ✦ Lullabies

╰┈➤ You hold your figurative son as you sing him to sleep

         ╰┈➤ You hold your figurative son as you sing him to sleep. Your pride and joy— never to be harmed again as long as your heart beats.

                                 ─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

The gentlest of giggles filled the bedroom within the IPC headquarters. The darkness was combatted by a dim, warm light upon a nightstand that stood at the bedside. The mattress had several blankets covering it, but there was one throw blanket of pink that seemed to intrigue this child. He reached for it with his tiny hands outstretched before his face, his shining eyes round with excitement. His squishy cheeks were somewhat downturned as his jaws gaped to yawn. His tiny hands gripped the blankets as he flopped against the bedside, far too tired to further attempt to climb onto the mattress.
Thankfully, you were there. You scooped the child up into your arms by his underarms, cradling him close to your chest as you sat yourself down on the mattress. Your right leg idly hung off of the edge of the bed while your left leg was comfortably tucked beneath yourself, creating space in your lap for the blond child to rest. He happily rested in your lap, curled up with a soft grin on his face. You pet his mop of blond hair, humming under your breath all the while. This child was not biologically yours, but after finding out about what plans a certain rich man had for him, you immediately took the child up into your arms. You have yet to let him go. Unfortunately, your adoption resulted in his previous alias being put to forever-sleep. And so, Kakavasha was simply a name of the past, with Aventurine standing in its place.

You laid back against the arrangement of cushiony pillows, allowing Aventurine to settle himself against your chest. He shut his eyes. You pulled the pink blanket forth, draping it over the child's shoulders. A faint smile formed on his face. You kissed the top of his blond hair, stroking his head with a touch unfathomably gentle. "Go to sleep, Sweetie." You softly instructed.
Aventurine yawned like that of a kitten that had exhausted all of its energy exploring the world. At play all day, he seemed to be feeling its effects. You hummed to the child. A simple melody, but it was one that held immense weight. Your mother used to play this specific lullaby for you. She would sing the lyrics in a voice that could belong only to a mother— one you could never dream of imitating. However, you did your best. Even the French lyrics stood no chance before you. Your pronunciation had been honed for years, and thus, in an impeccable French tongue, you recited the lyrics to your son. Your adoptive son, but forever will he be your son.
You could only sing to him as his eyes grew weary. His adorable eyes hid behind his eyelids as he drifted asleep in your arms, comforted by your warmth and your gentle voice. You hoped that your singsong tone would leave his dreams feeling so sweet. You prayed for your son's safety and happiness, away from his past.

The little one mustered yet another yawn, summoning a gentle chuckle from your lips. You resumed singing almost immediately. No matter what the future would bring upon Aventurine, whether it be misery and tragedy or happiness and blessings, you'd be sure to bring him peace. That is your duty— always and forever. You owe it to your little one to protect him, to give him a safe place to return to, and to always keep his future bright. Whether it be sunlight, wind, rain, or even lightning, you'd always protect him. To you, this child is your world. Your life revolves around such a precious little gem. Such a tiny heartbeat and yet it never fails to make you cry. You'll watch over him every single night, unable to sleep while the thought of his safety occupies your thoughts. He deserves all of the happiness in the universe. You know that, and you know that this universe doesn't deserve him. It most definitely never will. And sometimes, you wish you could make it better. But you can't, and that is okay. You will love your son all the same as he lays his head down to sleep until the songs of birds are his alarm clock.

And for you, you were sleeping as well, dreaming of the beautiful and tender memories of your son's smile.