GN!Reader * PLATONIC ┆ ✦ Remembrance

╰┈➤ The IPC is a cruel place, but not everyone within it is as cruel and evil

╰┈➤ The IPC is a cruel place, but not everyone within it is as cruel and evil. After being thrown out, you figured you'd have been lone forgotten by the child you raised— however, when he saw you, he immediately recognized you.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

You've always been a traveling musician. From the very beginning of your time amidst the stars, you were attached to music as a whole. Your choice of instruments ranged far and wide— even when you were forced to join as an IPC grunt. While it certainly did put your music through a rough patch, you remembered always humming to yourself. You knew what you would always be, even when you needed to make money. When you were short on credits, you worked harder and sang more frequently. However, all of that time ago, your humming must have brought an innocent wanderer over to you. This tiny, blond child looked up at you with hypnotic eyes of purple and blue. The two colors worked together, yet they never merged.
You recall crouching low to the ground to get a better look at the ratty kid, one who dismissed your every attempt at questioning. The kid seemed scared. You knew for a fact that this child was sold to the IPC as property.

"Hi, little one. Did they name you yet?" You recall asking. Your voice had been gentle and soft, like a warm, welcoming blanket.
The child had hesitantly stepped forwards, shaking his head from left to right as he did so. He was far too afraid to even murmur a response to you. But you remember the story with the same tenderness that you felt that day, and so, you never needed a reply. You recall putting your hand out to him, as frail and runty as he was, allowing him to look your hand over before giving him a good pat on the head. You recalled saying "good kid!" as you ruffled the child's hair.

As unexpected to you as it was, the kid started following you around. He would beg you for food, water, and even attention. You were hesitant to give him these things at first, but gradually, you grew too attached to the child to refuse. So, you would sit the child down to teach him about the universe. He would look up at you with his pupils round and wide, his eyes shimmering with childish wonder as you described your recent travels regarding the IPC. You described Aurum Alley and showed him pictures. You would do everything to make sure this kid would have at least something to live for. With no parents, you soon realized that he was probably viewing you as a parental figure. And to be honest, you didn't mind. You never did.

You still recall how you got tired of calling him "kid" or even "runt". It felt too condescending for your taste. So, that day, you focused entirely on a name. You went down a massive list alphabetically after asking many individuals abroad for their favorite baby names. And eventually, after many congratulations from strangers and lovely names, you found one. You went back to the IPC that day, looking down on the child like he was a puppy of some sort, and you told him that he had a name.
"What do you think about Aventurine?" Asked your voice as you sat yourself down before him. The child didn't hesitate to race into your arms, excitedly reciting his new name over and over again.

Those days of fun only lasted for so long. When he was older, the IPC branded him with a tattoo upon his neck. From that day onward, your son was never the same. He grew distant, and from then on, he rarely trusted anyone. You couldn't blame him. He had been through so much, it hurt your soul to see your son's lively spirit dying out like a flickering flame using up the last of its embers.
It only went downhill from there. Shortly after that, you were thrown out of the IPC for budget cuts. You figured that you'd never see your son again. It killed you inside. Sure, he was never biologically yours, but you found that child and you named him, nurtured him, taught him, and paid attention to him like he was your very own. Because to you, he was. He was your pride and joy.

You never thought you'd be standing before him ever again.

There was a Memokeeper beside you. She looked upon you with a soft smile, forcing you forth to see the blond haired IPC member. When he saw you, his expression contorted mildly. It was a small flicker, but you noticed it. "My end of the deal is done." Said Black Swan.
You ignored her and the blue hue of the Dreamscape surrounding you. Instead, you focused on your son. He looked so much better than before. He looked grown. That ratty child had turned into something beautiful.

"Ahem. Thank you, Memokeeper." Aventurine said towards Black Swan, who appeared to pick up on the change in his tone.
You smiled upon him. "Hello, Aventurine." Your voice nearly hitched in your throat as you spoke his name.
Black Swan took a step back, allowing you and him to reunite. You took several more steps forwards, reaching for the side of his face. "Oh my Aeons," you breathed. "You're all grown now."
Unfortunately, Aventurine didn't seem to return the same sentiment. He moved away from your hand, using his wrist to push your arm away from his face. Your heart sank at the sight of your own son brushing you off as a simple pawn. Even Black Swan seemed to scorn him for reacting this way.

You took a step back, respecting his wishes. "It's nice to see you a—" before you could finish speaking, the blond simply threw himself at you. Your arms managed to catch him in your embrace, just as you always would when he was young.
Aventurine hid his face in your clothes, inhaling your familiar smell as though he'd been reunited with his biological family. But you were enough. He tightly held onto you, even going so far as to rest his head on your shoulder. You leaned into his embrace, closing your eyes as you did so. "How have you been, son? I missed you."
You could hear overwhelming emotion in Aventurine's voice, something that you realized had become rare for him. "About as good as I can get. Things have been interesting, though. How about for you? Where have you been?" As he asked you these questions, he pressed closer to your collarbone until he was listening intently to your heartbeat. He used to do this often as a child, especially on nights where he was afraid of being alone.
You squeezed him tight, feeling tears prick your eyes. "I've been exploring planets, just like I used to. I was still playing your favorite song, hoping and praying that you'd come back."

"I'm sorry to ruin this sentimental moment, but you two need to return to reality now. It's not safe here." Said Black Swan as she stepped forwards.
You nodded your head in response to her voice. As for Aventurine, he seemed prepared to ask something of you. "I need you to do me a favor." He said as he grabbed your hands in his.
You smiled as you pat his head. "What's up, kiddo?"
He restrained a faint smile in return. "I'm going to get closer to the truth behind The Family. Join me— or don't." His tone melted his smile right off of his lips.
Laughing at his demeanor, you ruffled his blond hair. "Haha, I'll go with you. Stay off of the IPC's radar, if they see me, they'll flip their lid." You reminded your son, who nodded his head in return.

As Black Swan vanished to aid the Trailblazer and Acheron, you heard Aventurine whisper something to you.
"I'm happy to see you again."