M!Reader ┆ ✦ Protecting Is All You Can Do

╰┈➤ During an IPC attack on the Underworld of Belobog, two members of Wildfire rush to protect a small child from the worst of the battle

         ╰┈➤ During an IPC attack on the Underworld of Belobog, two members of Wildfire rush to protect a small child from the worst of the battle. Unfortunately, you and Luka could only do so much, and the child is crushed to death. As expected, Luka blames himself, but you know it wasn't his fault.

GRUESOME DEATH WARNING!!!
                                 ─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

     Whirring machinery reverberated across all of the Belobog Underground. The ground rumbled and shuttered. Veins of illuminating amber began to shatter noticeably, shedding their dust upon the ground below. As expected, this summoned a commotion amongst the population.
Two Wildfire members lost their balance from the initial impact, staggering side-by-side while grasping one another for support. You lifted your head, your eyes fixated upon the cracking vein of ore. "Oh, that's gonna come down!" Your voice thundered, laced with sudden adrenaline and terror.
Your crimson-haired companion nodded his head, immediately racing towards the rumbling sounds and the harsh hissing of mechanical parts operating. You followed at his heels with a tight knot forming in your chest. With each screech from both humans and machines that assaulted your ears, your heartbeat thundered louder within your chest. You could practically feel it in your eardrums. A whirlwind of dust began to pelt upon you and your companion, who you cried out for as a means of ensuring he was safe.
"Luka—!"

"Still here!" He confirmed over the harsh winds. He used his mechanical arm to shield his blue eyes from the debris that was being pelted directly at him. Some of the stray rocks created thin slices through his clothes, ones that Luka didn't seem to pay any mind to.
You pushed through the gust of debris and wind, emerging victorious against it moments later. However, you were met with the sight of IPC machines destroying tools from miners— and even miners themselves.
Luka raced to your side. His expression reflected shock and fury the second he saw what the IPC goons were projecting upon the Underworld. As expected, it infuriated both you and Luka. Despair and depression was already the number one element of the Underworld, why add devastation to the list?

Your eyes scanned the scene. You soon locked gazes with Seele, yet another member of Wildfire. She quickly slung her scythe over her shoulder before racing towards both you and Luka. "Where have you two been!?" She asked, her tone riddled with both exhaustion and irritation.
You shook your head. "We just heard of the situation now." You told her truthfully. Her sharp gaze flicked onto Luka.
"Honest," said Luka. "We're gonna help out, so relax for now. Get everyone out." He told her.
Seele nodded her head a single time as she glanced between you and Luka. "You don't need to tell me. Stay safe, you two." With that, she departed, her footsteps heavy as she charged into the heat of the destruction.

Both you and Luka stared out at the chaos with your mouths slightly agape. The destruction was beyond jarring. However, you trusted Luka. Your faith in him was beyond doubt, and of course, a tiny bit gay.
Luka shot a glance in your direction before he raced into the destruction. You pursued him as noise of screams and the planet shuttering assaulted your eardrums. The noises alone were traumatizing, but the sights of beaten and bruised miners swinging their tools as their bodies clung to their last chances of survival was far worse. This wasn't a rare sight for the Belobog Underworld, but that truly never made anything less terrifying.
Luka's shoes slid to an abrupt stop, leaving fresh dents in the ground in his wake. Behind his back, a small child cowered with her face hidden in her hands. You could hear her sobbing. You raced towards her, scooping her into your arms while Luka's mechanical arm absorbed the power of an agitated IPC automaton.