Chapter 44: The Dream

Shawna's POV

I watched as Justin played in the pool with the kids while I tanned in a lawn chair. Carter was floating around in his floaty and Jessica was kicking around with arm floats and the help of Justin.

This brought so much happiness to me. I watched as Carter got out of the pool and started to run over to me. I sat up to meet him and as he ran near the edge of the pool he slipped, hit his head on the ground and slipped into the pool.

"CARTER!" I screamed.

Justin, who was busy with Jessica had no clue what happened. He turned around.

"WHERE IS CARTER?" Justin shouted.

I gasped as I ran over to the edge of the pool. Justin went under the water and grabbed Carter. His delicate body surfaced and Justin handed him to me. He was bleeding all over and Justin got out of the pool.

"Call 911," I said.

I started to listen to his breathing, nothing, no heart beat, nothing. Justin ran back outside and kneeled beside us. Jessica was crying.

"Shawna," my eyes opened and I saw Justin standing above me. I must've fallen asleep while I was tanning.

I gasped and sat up.

"What's wrong baby?" Justin asked.

"Carter, he was running and he hit his head and fell in the pool."

Justin grabbed me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Calm down sweetie, he's fine. Look he's swimming with Jessica," Justin smiled.

Carter started to go to the edge of the pool and get out.

"Come here buddy," Justin smiled.

Carter walked over to us and hugged us. I held Carter for a long time.

"What's wrong mommy?" He asked.

"Nothing sweetie, just go have fun with your sister."

He returned to the pool and I watched the three of them play together.

When I got into bed and Justin snuggled up against me, I fell asleep. It was as if the dream continued right where it left off. Carter went to the hospital and right when the nurses came out to talk to us I woke up.

"How'd you sleep?" Justin asked me as we sat on the front porch with some coffee.

"I had the dream again," I said. "About Carter. But it continued where it left off."

"Sweetie," Justin said. "It's a silly dream. Don't think too much about it."

I sipped my coffee and then Carter and Jessica stepped out on the front porch. The day was overcast, nothing shocking since it was late August.

"Good morning my lovely children," I hugged and kissed them.

"Morning mommy and daddy," Jessica said.

"Good morning," Carter smiled.

They hugged Justin and the four of us sat on the porch for a little while, until the sun started to poke through the clouds. We got on our swimsuits and went to the backyard. The kids splashed in the pool and Justin joined them. A few minutes later I was in the water splashing around with them.

The phone rang about an hour later, interrupting the fun. I went to answer it.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey Shawna," Scooter said. "I was calling to let you know that the contractors were wondering if you wanted a pool at the new place? Because you didn't confirm it the last time you guys met."