Intro

Every teenager dreams that they're going to marry their favourite boyband member and live happily ever after. Right? 

But you never actually believe it will happen.

Especially when technically he was never your favourite...

In truth he was never even the one I actually liked. 

I adored the older, quieter member of the group, with the gorgeous voice who never got the limelight. 

Michael Christopher Charles Graham. 

His name covered my school books, alongside his band members.

All of my friends fancied Ronan, who took lead vocals on most of Boyzone's songs. But he was never as attractive to me as Michael. In school, I wanted to be liked, I was quiet, bookish, easy to tease. So I went along with the crowd and said he was my favourite too.

I'd have given anything to meet them back then.

But then as we all do, I grew up, went to university, discovered rock and indie music, and firmly left boy bands behind. 

They'd been the only ones who's music I'd liked anyway...

By the time I met Ronan Keating, Boyzone were long forgotten in the pop world, he was forging a successful solo career and he was one of the most famous pop stars on the planet. 

My taste in men had changed over the years, and blonde or strawberry blonde was definitely my preference (less body hair!). 

His voice had also grown on me. There was a way he sang certain words that sent a shiver down my spine, and I knew I wasn't the only one.

His fan base was obsessive. 

Many of them Boyzone fans previously. But just as many who weren't. 

Some crazy, crazy stalkers, and some like me, who thought he had a decent voice and was easy on the eye. 

I should have known better than to think that dreams really can come true.

But as the song goes... Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it.