Nineteen

Ronan Keating?

Suddenly it all came flooding back to me.

"Ro, I....." I tried to speak. I wanted to tell him I was sorry, for ruining his night.

"Shush" he stroked a stray hair away from my forehead.

"Can you tell me where the pain is?" asked another voice, I turned my head as much as I could. It had become agony to move. 

"Left" I managed to whisper and pointed to the left hand side of my body from my stomach down. I felt a pair of hands gently kneading into my left upper thigh. "Does this hurt?" I shook my head.

"This?"

"Aaaaahhh fuck yes" I screamed and then apologised for swearing which caused Ronan and the ambulance technician to laugh whilst I almost passed out again with the pain.

"How long have you been in pain for?"

"Since late last night" I whispered avoiding looking at Ronan.

Thankfully we had already pulled up outside A&E so there was little time for any more questions. As I was wheeled straight through to see a doctor who was apparently anticipating my arrival, the ambulance technician asked Ronan if we were related.

"Err" he hesitated "No"

"Then I'm afraid you'll have to stay here"

"I'll wait for you" he whispered quietly to me.

"Are you sure?" I mouthed back, he nodded emphatically. I was wheeled into a curtained cubicle where the middle-aged doctor examined me and tutted a few times, before taking me for a seemingly never ending cycle of tests and x-rays. He then wheeled me into a private room and said he'd be back 'shortly'. 

After what felt like hours he returned looking concerned but friendly. "Now then young lady what have you been doing to yourself?" his voice was stern but he was smiling as he looked at me. "You have a fracture in your upper thigh" he explained. 

"You've fractured your femur, or thigh bone as it's more commonly known" "It looks like the result trauma to the area" 

"We'll have to operate to realign the bone and we will have to insert a metal rod to hold it in place".

"What?" I was dumbfounded. I had never expected the pain I had to equate to something this serious.

Not in a million years.

"We could do this now, but as you've been drinking tonight we'd rather do it in the morning" 

Why did we have to wait? 

"The anaesthetic will work much better then" he answered my unasked question kindly.

I grimaced as I had a sudden wave of pain, whatever they had given me painkiller wise was beginning to wear off. "Let me get you something stronger for that" he said.

"Stronger?" I asked.

"Yes they only gave you mild pain killing treatment in the ambulance as they didn't have a diagnosis and they weren't sure what you'd had to drink" he added. 

"Not as much as you would think" I muttered. 

I glanced over at my (short) dress and high heels that had been taken off and discarded at the side of the bed, to be replaced by an unflattering hospital gown. He probably thought that I had purposely gone out to get drunk on a Friday night. I'd have thought the same.

"Oh yes we know that now, one of the tests...the alcohol levels in your blood are quite low"

He turned to leave. "Wait can I see..." I didn't want to say his name, bring him unwanted attention if they called out his name.

"The young gentlemen that bought you in?" he asked, I nodded. "Of course"

A few minutes later Ronan popped his head around the open door. "You can come in you know" I said quietly, suddenly feeling quite shy and more than a little embarrassed.

"You know you scared me for a little while there" he came in placed himself carefully on the end of the bed.

"I've got to have an operation" I confided, "I've fractured my thigh bone"

"God Vic, how the hell did you do that?" I swallowed, fighting the sudden threat of tears. "It was him last night wasn't it, my god what did he do to you?"

I couldn't speak, I nodded. "He..." I burst into tears.

He shifted up the bed and took me in his arms, I buried my head on his chest and sobbed quietly. "It's ok" he said soothingly.

"Has he ever touched you before?" he asked.

"Once" I confessed. "He swore he'd never do it again and I believed him, he was drunk, he didn't hurt me"

"and last night?" I looked up at him. "I don't know?" I said quietly, bowing my head, averting his gaze.

"Look at me" Ronan put his hand under my chin and lifted my head so that I was looking right into his eyes. "Whatever he did, it's not your fault"

"Isn't it?"

"No"

I couldn't bring myself to speak about it anymore and I think that he sensed I needed to be left alone.

He gave me a gentle squeeze, before moving over to the vacant chair. He sat down and pulled himself over closer to the bed, he took my hand in his. "I'm not going anywhere until you're better" he said "I can't take a girl on a date and have her hospitalised now can I?" he smiled. I smiled back weakly. 

I tried to sleep but the hospital bed was uncomfortable not to mention the pain I was in, it must've been seriously bad if the painkillers weren't helping. But the pain was like a warning to me. 

I had to finish with Dan, there was no question about it.