Thirty Four

Vicky

On my Twenty-fifth birthday, Sophie took the day off work to celebrate with me as I couldn't really do anything on my own. My mum sent me a gorgeous set of new underwear and an amazing dress with a card that said;

Wear this when you next see Ronan, I'm looking forward to meeting my future son in law!

I laughed out loud, what was she like?

At the moment we were very good friends who happened to fancy each other quite a lot, but there was no commitment, I didn't want to ask, Ronan was far to busy, and I wasn't sure I was ready for another relationship after the disastrous ones I'd had lately.

There was another package in the post which I thought was strange, I didn't normally get presents in the post, only the one from my parents. I looked at the envelope, it had an Irish postmark, but...

"Well open it then!" said Sophie impatiently.

I opened the large package curiously and pulled out its contents carefully. Inside there were two beautifully wrapped presents in luxurious silver paper with tiny multicoloured stars on and a birthday card in a pink shiny envelope, which I opened first.

To My Girlfriend

What the actual fuck? Was this some kind of sick joke from Dan?

I opened the card tentatively, hands shaking and recognized Ronan's handwriting immediately.

Dear Vic,

I hope you don't think I'm being too presumptuous here but I would really love for you to be my girlfriend. You are far too special to me to let you get away. A little bird told me it was your birthday so I thought this would be the perfect time to ask you. I miss you very day. Can't wait to see you soon.

Lots of Love,

Ronan xxxxxx

P.S Hope you like the present?

I couldn't stop the grin spreading across my face. 

Ronan Keating wanted me to be his girlfriend!

Wow.

"What is it?" asked Sophie. "Won the lottery?"

"Very funny..."

"I think... it's actually better than that" I handed her the card to read.

"Oh my god!" she jumped up and gave me a hug.

"Open them then!" she said impatiently, pointing to the two presents on the table. I laughed and did as I was told, opening up the slightly larger one first. I unwrapped the paper to reveal a dark blue jewellery box with silver print - 'Weir and sons, Irelands leading jewellers since 1869'

Inside the box, on a deep blue velvet cushion was a beautiful silver necklace with a star pendant. I opened the smaller package to reveal another jewellery box with a pair of matching earring inside. 

I was no expert but they looked expensive, definitely diamonds set inside the stars.

In with the necklace there was a small folded handwritten note, which I opened to read;

'In all of the heaven's you're the only star that shines, I've just got to get to you, so I'm working overtime'

I laughed.

Sorry for pinching some old Boyzone lyrics, but this is how I feel J I'm working extra hard so that I get to see you sooner.... Xxxx

I picked up my mobile from the table and called his number.