Thirty Six

Sophie and I spent the rest of the day not really doing anything, but it was nice to have the company. At around five she turned and surprised me completely. "Right Vic, I'm taking you out tonight, so I want you to go and get ready"

"But...."

"No buts!"

"Oh wait!" she said as I was about to hobble up the stairs on my crutches.

"I've got something for you"

"But you already bought me a present"

"Shush! Just open it" she said and thrust a box at me.

Inside the box lay a pair of gorgeous shoes with the tiniest of kitten heels, they were silvery grey with lots of little silver stars printed on them. 

I loved them.

"Aw soph, they're gorgeous"

"I bought them especially for you to wear today" she said, "you can't not go out on your birthday, and those heels are perfect"

"Now go and get dressed and wear what your mum sent you" she said.

I was going to save them for Ronan, but I guess it was my birthday, and there was no use trying to argue with Sophie, she always won. I shrugged at her and made my way up the stairs slowly.

I had a quick shower and examined my leg as I was drying, the scar was healing well, which pleased me. I was having the stitches out next week and I couldn't wait. 

I slipped on the underwear that my mum had sent me before pulling the dress over my head. It was dark blue with a plunging neckline and cutaway detailing on the back, it was stunning. I smiled at my reflection. 

I had to admit it looked good, it hugged the curves of my body, without looking tarty.

I bent down to put my shoes on and winced as I grazed my thigh with my arm. I grabbed my crutches and made my way down the stairs.

"Wow, Vic you look beautiful" I blushed.

"You don't think it's too much?"

"No such thing, it's your birthday! Come on Dave'll be here in a minute"

"Huh?"

"He's coming to give us a lift into town"

"Oh right. Where are we going anyway?"

"Lava lounge" she said and I smiled.

Dave pulled up outside a moment later and wolf-whistled and he took my arm and led me from the house and helped me into the back of the car. I just rolled my eyes at him. He drove us the short distance into town and dropped us off as close to the entrance of the Lava Lounge as he could.

"Come on hop a long!" laughed Sophie as she ran ahead of me.

"Oi! You'll pay for that comment!" I said, waving a crutch at her. She just laughed and continued ahead of me to hold the door open. The lights we all off as we made our way inside the warm building.

"Bugger" she said, "must've been a power cut" but she followed me in anyway.

SURPRISE!

My hand flew up to my mouth. The lights went on and I could see my Mum and Dad, loads of my friends and Ronan.

Ronan?

"What the?"

"Well we couldn't let your twenty-fifth go by unnoticed" grinned Sophie.

Mum, Dad and Ronan made their way over to me. I just stared at them all in shock.

"I can't believe you're here" 

My Mum just grinned at me. "I thought you sounded odd on the phone"

"Well, that's what happens when you're only down the road!"

"And you!" I said turning to Ronan. "I thought you were meant to be working today!"

"I was....I finished early, and wanted to see my new girlfriend" I grinned at him as he said this.

"Sophie told me she was planning this a little while back and I was annoyed 'cause I didn't think I'd be able to make it"

"Well I'm very glad that you did, Mr. Keating" I replied. Feeling brave I planted a huge kiss on his lips. As we pulled away from each other, I realised we were being cheered. How embarrassing!

I blushed.

"I think we need to get the birthday girl a drink" said Sophie sensing my slight discomfort.

"Of course" Ronan agreed. They made me sit down at one of the decorated tables and went to the bar to fetch us some drinks. They returned with several bottles of champagne and five champagne flutes, one each for myself, Ronan, Sophie, my Mum and Dad.

"This is in honour of your parents being able to come" explained Sophie.

"And to the future" added Ronan with one of his trademark grins.

I'm sure my Mum must've thought that he was being very forward at this point, I could almost see her picking out her wedding outfit. But I knew that he was referring to our future, and my future - without Dan.

I smiled at him and he took my hand. I shivered at his touch and marvelled at the effect he was having on me.