Chapter 69- Are you serious?

Jao's POV

I picked the lock on the window, balancing myself on the tree branch. Once that was done, I silently leapt into the dark room, I looked into a cot to find one of the children I had seen earlier so the other one must be in that cot over there. I don't have much time, I pick the child up and walk over to the other cot. Now I have both children I creep up to the bedroom door, I slowly open it a tiny bit. Dammit. The dog is in the way, I close the door and I must have woken it up because I hear barking and whining and scratching against the door. I quickly used one of the cots to barricade it and open the window and carefully climb back onto the tree. Just as the two adults burst into the room.

Peri's POV

I was having another nightmare, same as the past few days, but this was different. It had skipped the part I was pregnant and went straight to Jao talking to me. He leant over me, making me feel increasingly terrified. "If you want something, go and get it." He said and climbed out a window that just appeared. I woke up, sweat on my forehead, Ty was already awake with his arm still around me. "Ty, something's up." I said looking around the dark room. "You can say that again. Listen." I remained  and listened. "Is that Shasta?" I asked as I heard whining and scratching. Then a bark, he only barks in the house if something's wrong. 

I leapt out of bed. "Peri? Where are you going?" Ty asked climbing out as well. I didn't answer him, I just hurdled out of the room and saw Shasta scratching the door. I tried to open it. I couldn't..."Ty...Ty Help!" I shouted, he came out and saw me struggling. "Hang on. Get the dog out of the way." Ty said, bracing himself for what he was about to do. I obediently took hold of Shasta's collar and pulled him away from the door. Ty then and through himself, putting his entire weight on the door. It burst open one of the cots falling on it's side. I ran in, Ty close behind. Just as the same dark figure I saw every night climbed  out the window. I screamed as he had something in his arms that me and Ty cared about the most. Our children.

He walked along a tree branch and stopped near the trunk. I was trying to climb out myself but Ty firmly held me back by my waist. "No Peri! You'll fall!" "Ty, he's got them!" I said, sobbing now. The guy looked at us and pulled down his hood, a flash of light on his face revealed his identity. "Jao!" I shouted in disbelief. He smiled evily before leaping into the shadows where he was no longer seen. The faint sound of crying disturbing me more than ever. I sank to my knees, sobbing my heart out, hands covering my face. Ty kneeled next to me, trying to comfort me. He couldn't. He too was traumatised. 

Ty's POV

It all happened to fast. One minute I'm fast asleep, the next I'm sitting next to my crying wife, being able to nothing as our children have just been stolen by a horrible criminal. I grab the phone and dial 9-1-1 and report what had just happened. "I think the best thing for you right now is to go back to sleep while we start on the case." The person on the other end of the phone suggested. Quite frankly I was ready to shout at him saying that there was no way we were going to be able to get back to sleep after what had just happened. 

"They suggest they make a start while we try and rest. It's 3:30am." I said gently. Nodded but remained in front of the window, looking out, trying to catch even a tiny glimpse of something. We couldn't though, we couldn't even hear their crying out. I picked up Peri who covered her face. Using one hand, I peeled her hand away, her face was tear ridden and red. I shook my head sadly and placed her on our bed. I got in beside her and wrapped my arm around her waist and held onto her. She however, remained unresponsive. Peri was in an entirely different universe right now. "Peri?" No reply. "Peri, we'll find them." It was all I could say. Still no response. She wasn't asleep, I could tell. I stayed cuddled up with her until she finally drifted off so I then started to go to sleep. 

And all that time we could hear the faint sounds of Shasta still trying to get into the nursery. It's like he is also trying anything but to believe that the previous events happened. Refusing to believe it all.