Chapter 41 - A night of consolation

Tears streamed down my face as Blake and I drove away from the house. The weight of everything I had heard crashed down on me, my heart shattering into a thousand pieces. Blake glanced over at me, his face etched with concern and sadness.

"Sam, I'm so sorry," he said softly, his voice filled with empathy. "I shouldn't took you there...I knew Devin goes through this during this time of the year...It's Toby's death anniversary." 

Somehow, I think I already knew he is going to say that. I couldn't find the words to respond, my sobs choking any attempt to speak. The betrayal, the hurt, the confusion—it was all too much to process. Blake reached over and gently squeezed my hand, trying to offer some comfort.

"Do you want me to take you back to your and Dev's place?" he asked, his eyes flicking between me and the road.

"No," I whispered, shaking my head. "I can't go back there. Not now."

Blake nodded, understanding. "Okay. You stay at my hotel for the night, is that fine with you?"

"Yes, thank you," I managed to say, my voice barely audible.

The rest of the drive was silent, except for my occasional sniffles and Blake's soft reassurances. When we arrived at his hotel, he parked the car and turned to me.

"Come on, let's get you inside," he said gently.

We walked up to his condo, and Blake unlocked the door, guiding me inside. The place was modern and neat, a stark contrast to the chaos of my emotions. Blake led me to the living room and sat me down on the couch.

"Do you want anything? Water? Tea?" he offered, trying to be as helpful as possible.

I shook my head, feeling completely drained. "No, I'm okay. I just... I don't know what to do."

Blake sat beside me, putting an arm around my shoulders. "It's going to be okay, Sam. I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but it will be. Devin is being an idiot right now. But trust me he will come back...just give him time. In the meantime, you've got me, and I'm here for you."

I leaned into his embrace, finding a small measure of comfort in his presence. His warmth and sincerity were like a balm to my wounded heart. It felt different. Gone was the Blake who never stopped making me uncomfortable with his sexual innuendos. ..It was the opposite of that. We sat like that for a while, the silence between us filled with unspoken support.

"Why did he do it, Blake?" I finally asked, my voice trembling. "Why did he said all those things to hurt me?"

Blake sighed deeply. "I don't know, Sam. Devin's been through a lot, and he's got his own demons. But that doesn't excuse what he said. I'm sorry."

I nodded, tears flowing freely again. "I thought he loved me."

Blake tightened his hold on me. "And he does. Believe me he does love you, in his own messed-up way. I've never seen him so happy with anyone but you. But he's not ready to face it, he's still coping from Toby's death and he ended up hurting you in the process."

I pulled back slightly, looking into Blake's eyes. "Did you know about the bet? Between Devin and Logan?"

Blake's face fell, and he nodded slowly. "Yeah, I knew. But Sam, you have to understand—Devin fell for you. The bet was a stupid, immature thing, and he got caught up in it. But his feelings for you are real. He's just... he's still suffering, blaming himself for Toby's death. He doesn't believe he deserves to be loved."

A fresh wave of disappointment washed over me. "Why didn't you tell me, Blake?"

"I'm sorry, Sam. I thought it wasn't my place, and I believed Devin would come clean. I should have told you. But please, don't hate me."

I was too tired to muster any anger. "I don't hate you, Blake. I'm just... I'm so tired of all of this. I love Devin, but he hurt me so much tonight. I don't know if I can keep enduring this pain."

Blake nodded, his eyes filled with understanding. "I get it, Sam. Just know that whatever you decide, I'll support you."

Exhaustion started to weigh me down, the emotional turmoil taking its toll. Blake noticed and gently said, "Why don't you get some rest? You can take the bed. I'll stay on the couch."

I shook my head. "Blake, this is your place. I'll take the couch."

"No way. You're taking the bed," he insisted. "You need a good night's sleep. I'll be fine here."

Too tired to argue, I nodded. "Okay. Thank you, Blake. For everything."

"Anytime, Sam. Come on, let's get you settled," he said, helping me up.

He led me to the bedroom and pulled back the covers. "Get some sleep. I'll be right outside if you need anything."

I climbed into the bed, feeling the weight of the day's events pulling me under. Blake turned off the light and started to leave the room.

"Blake?" I called softly.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you," I whispered, my eyes closing.

He smiled gently. "You're welcome, Kitty. Goodnight."

I dozed off almost immediately, the exhaustion overtaking me.