Chapter 18

It was Wednesday night and I was in my room finishing my homework when Brooke called to asked me about our world history homework.

"Thanks Sam! You're the best! Anyway, had you gotten your dress yet?"

"Dress? What dress?"

"Your dress for the party next week."

"Uh...we're attending a party next week?" I asked confused. I didn't heard about any party next week.

"The Sumus Virtus Annual Party! Didn't your boyfriend told you about it?"

I was sure Drew didn't mentioned anything about that Sumus...whatever party to me.

"Uh...no I don't remember him mentioning it."

"Oh? Well, maybe he'll tell you before the week ends. The party's not until Saturday next week anyway. We should go shopping together to pick our dresses and shoes this weekend!"

"I dunno know. I don't really like going to parties and well, the last time I'd been in a party it didn't end well."

"You can't bail on this, Sam. This is the Sumus Virtus Annual Party we're talking about! And since you're Andrew Beaufort's girlfriend, the more that you need to be there. Anyway, I gotta go, Liam's on the other line. We'll talk about this tomorrow, okay?"

"Yep. Bye Brooke."

I hang up the phone thinking about the party. I seriously didn't want to go to that party but at the same time I was wondering why Drew didn't mentioned it to me.

I heard a knock on my door, of course I already knew who was it. Devin and I hadn't been talking for almost two weeks now. I opened the door and Devin was standing in front of me smiling.

"Hey. There's pizza down stairs. Do you wanna do Breaking bad marathon?" He was grinning at me like we're best friends.

I looked up to Devin feeling annoyed of his multiple personality. I don't know how to talk to him anymore.

"I'm good thanks." I said and started to turn away from him when he grabbed me by my wrist.

"What's wrong with you?"

I was infuriated and I felt my anger boiled up deep in my system. How dare he asked me that? He was the one who wanted me to stay away from him and I was just doing what he wanted.

"I thought you want me to stay away from you? Didn't you notice, that's what I've been doing." I replied with a hard edge in my voice.

Devin ran his hand through his silky dark hair and sighed in exasperation.

"I'm sorry okay. I know I told you to stay away but I didn't want us to stop talking."

How can I stay away from him and still talk to him at the same time?

"You're confusing." I walked back to my bed and position my self in the middle of it pretending to go back to reading my math textbook.

"I know. Look can you just go down stairs and share the pizza with me? I can't finish it myself." I heard Devin's footsteps as he entered my room.

I looked up to him and saw him standing in the middle of the room. His frame dominated the room, his presence has a pulling power around him which made me felt nervous every time he's near. Sometimes I wished that he was average looking then it will be easier for me to live with him without always feeling like he's sending my body on fire.

"Why not get your phone and call your fuck buddies, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to share your pizza." I said, using annoyance as a defense to hide my real emotions.