Chapter 42 - A new sanctuary

The morning light filtered through the curtains, casting a gentle glow across the room. I slowly opened my eyes, feeling a heavy ache in my chest. The events of the previous night replayed in my mind, and a fresh wave of sadness washed over me. I sat up in bed, rubbing my eyes, and then heard a voice coming from the living room.

I quietly slipped out of bed and tiptoed to the doorway, pausing as I saw Blake talking on the phone. His back was to me, and he hadn't noticed my presence. I leaned against the doorframe, watching him.

"She's okay, just... devastated," Blake said softly. "I know how that egg-head gets this time of year, trust me." 

Blake turned around then, and his eyes widened slightly when he saw me standing there. He gave me a half-smile, trying to hide his concern. He covered the speaker and whispered: "It's Cass." 

I nodded and walked toward the breakfast counter and sat on the stool across Blake. 

There was a pause as Blake listened to Cassie's response. "She stayed in my hotel...but I didn't want her to be alone, and she didn't want to go back at their place..." 

"Yep, I know he'll cut my dick off when he found out!" Blake rolled his eyes. 

Blake was then back listening intently to what Cass was saying to him. Humour gone through his eyes. His shoulders sagged slightly, and he ran a hand through his hair.

"I understand. Thanks for checking in, Cass. Yes, I'll keep an eye on her. And don't worry, I've got a plan."

"Good morning," he said, ending the call and putting his phone away. He rolled his eyes comically. "Archers. They're pain in the arse aren't they?" I know Blake was attempting to lighter the mood, he's best at doing that. 

She was checking if everything's okay. She knows how Devin can become... destructive during this time of the year."

"What is your plan?" I asked Blake. He looked at me confused. "I heard you told Cass you have a plan" 

Blake sighed and nodded. "Yeah, well you see... Devin will be very cross if he finds out you stayed here last night. I think it's best for you to stay somewhere else for a while."

I looked at him, confusion furrowing my brow. 

Blake's expression softened. "I've talked to a friend of mine. He has an empty apartment and agreed to let you stay there for a bit. It's quiet, and you'll have some space to yourself."

I hesitated, biting my lip. The thought of moving again was exhausting, but I knew Blake was right. Staying here would only create more tension.

"Okay," I agreed quietly. "Thank you, Blake." 

Blake smiled and then grabbed my hand. "Come on, let's go down and have breakfast. I'm starving!" Before I could complain and tell him I'm not hungry, he already dragged me to the door and then down to the elevator.

In the hotel restaurant, we found a quiet corner. Despite my initial reluctance, I realized how empty my stomach felt. Blake ordered a hearty breakfast for both of us, insisting that I needed to eat.

As we waited for our food, Blake looked at me earnestly. "How are you holding up?"

I looked at him searching for words. I wanted to tell him how much pain I'm feeling but I was lost for words. I don't know how to describe the intensity of the pain I'm feeling...

Blake senses my hesitation. "Forgive me.  You don't have to answer. I know this has been an incredibly tough time for you."

I sat down, feeling the weight of his concern. "I'm trying...It's just... everything feels so... overwhelming."

Blake sat beside me, his expression earnest. "You need to be strong, Sam. Hold on to what you and Devin. I know Devin can be an idiot, but he does care about you deeply. I know it, trust me. I know you are the right girl for him."

I looked up at Blake, surprised by his words. Doubt casting shadows on me. "But... I don't think he's the right guy for me." 

"Sam, please don't say that..."

"I don't know how much more I can endure. I'm afraid that if I stay with Devin he'll end up hurting me again. And if that happens I'm afraid that I'll stop loving him...And I don't want that."

Blake nodded, understanding the depth of my fear. "I get it, Sam. Loving someone like Devin isn't easy. He has a lot of baggage and a lot of pain he's still working through. But sometimes, the most challenging relationships are the ones worth fighting for."

"I don't know, Blake," I whispered, my voice breaking. "I just don't know."

He placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "You and Dev will get through this...One step at a time." Blake said reassuringly. "But right now, you need to take care of yourself and heal."

Tears welled up in my eyes, but I managed a small smile. "Thank you, Blake. You've been a real friend through all of this."

"Ah! There it is! You finally smiled for me!" 

I softly giggled. Blake reach out, the back of his right hand softly touched my left cheek. 

"I'm always here for you. You know that right?" he said softly. 

I nodded. 

After breakfast we went to the room to get ready to leave. Within an hour, we were in Blake's car, driving through the city. The streets were busy with morning traffic, but the silence inside the car was palpable. I stared out the window, my mind a whirlpool of emotions.

When we arrived at the apartment building, Blake parked the car and helped me carry my bags inside. The building was modern and well-maintained, with a peaceful ambiance that was a stark contrast to the chaos in my heart.

Blake unlocked the door to the apartment and led me inside. It was a cozy, furnished space with large windows that let in plenty of natural light. It felt welcoming, a safe haven amidst the turmoil.

"Here we are," Blake said, setting my bags down. "Make yourself at home. I'm sorry but I need leave for a meeting at 10:30 but if you need anything, just give me a call, okay."

I nodded, feeling a lump form in my throat. "Thank you, Blake. I'm sorry I dragged you into this mess."

He rolled his eyes before grabbing me into a tight hug. 

"Bollocks! I'm already into it since the first day!"

He then looked down to me and smiled warmly. "After what my idiotic cousin did, this is the least I can do. Take care of yourself, okay?"

"I will," I promised, trying to sound more confident than I felt.

Blake gave me a brief hug before stepping back. "Get some rest. I'll check on you later."

As he left, I looked around the apartment, taking in the quiet and solitude. It was what I needed—a place to process everything, to heal.

Exhausted, I lay down on the couch, letting the events of the past days wash over me. My eyelids grew heavy, and soon I drifted into a restless sleep, the weight of my emotions finally giving way to exhaustion.

Blake's promise echoed in my mind as I slipped into slumber: One step at a time. It was a small comfort, but in this moment, it was enough.