Chapter 9 - The Pick, Skellion Date Night

After what happened last night, you might think I was crazy for coming to the Skellion's party, but I was with Brooke and she is a total badass at being crazy, so I went as her sidekick.

But seriously, Devin's cold, liquid grey eyes haunted my dreams last night. I woke up expecting an explosion of gossip at school, but everything seemed... normal. People still gave me curious looks, but not the nasty, judging ones I was expecting. For some reason, Devin didn't follow through with his threat. The look he gave me last night made me sure he was going to tell everyone about my father and my connection to him.

Today had been surprisingly good. I didn't bump into any of the Skellion boys, which I was grateful for. I wasn't sure how I'd feel seeing Devin again after all the cruel words we exchanged. Not that I regretted it—I was just so angry that I let my emotions get the best of me. It's best if we don't talk anymore, not that we ever really did. But he's my stepbrother, and whether I like it or not, are parents are married which means I can't avoid seeing him.

As soon as I saw the well-lit two-story house by the beach and heard the blaring music, I knew my time of avoiding Devin was up. We were entering Skellion territory, where Devin is king, and there was no way I could hide from those dark, intense gazes anymore

I couldn't believe how huge the house was—it could accommodate the entire school plus a few dozen more people. The party was in full swing when we got there. Alcoholic drinks were everywhere, and most people had beer cups in their hands. I had no idea where they got so much alcohol, considering most of them were underage.

I noticed a group of girls who looked and dressed older than the rest of us, wearing tight, plunging, skimpy clothes. None of them looked familiar. I was glad my outfit didn't show as much skin. Brooke had me wear her strapless black sweetheart dress that ended mid-thigh. It showed a bit of cleavage and hugged my body well, but my cardigan made it look less sexy.

"Those are college girls from Weston. Tori, the blonde in the middle with duck lips, was Archer's pick last year. She lasted the longest...almost a week," Brooke snorted.

"What do you mean she was last year's pick?" I asked, curious.

"Sorry, I forgot you've come from a different planet". Brooke joked. I gave her an eye roll. 

"Well, each Skellion picks a girl to take home tonight. You'll find out later once Colin went up the stage and called the guys. Anyway, whoever each Skellion's pick for tonight will be their exclusive girl until he doesn't want her anymore." 

"Exclusive girl? Just girl not girlfriend?" I asked amused. 

"Nope! Unfortunately, the boys change their girls as often as they change their underwear; they don't keep them longer than two days. On normal days, they can have more than one girl, but not after date night. Skellions date their pick exclusively."

My mouth hung open. I couldn't believe how crazy these girls were for wanting to be with those guys who would throw them away like rubbish once they got bored. This was all just a game to them, especially for the Skellions.

"Well, that sounds awful. Why would any of these girls want that for themselves?" Brooke didn't say anything. I looked at her, and she had a shameful smile on her face.

"Please don't tell me you're here because you want to get picked."

"Don't judge. Please... Well, you don't know how getting picked by any of the Skellions will give us status. I mean, yes, they're just going to date us for one or two days max, but after that, other guys will want you, and everyone will want to be your friend."

I didn't know how to feel about that. I guess I was a bit disappointed with Brooke, but I'd like to think she had some other reasons for wanting to be here.