Chapter 44 - A kiss like never before

DEVIN's POV

For the past two weeks, I've been trying to keep myself together. Sam was avoiding me, and it was killing me inside. Seeing her at school but not being able to talk to her felt like torture. During lunch, she'd either disappear into the library or find some spot outside, far away from the cafeteria and the Skellion's table. Far away from me.

Do I miss her? Hell yes, I do. But it's more than that. I feel this crushing guilt every time I think about her. I hurt her, and I know I deserve to suffer for it. I deserve to feel this pain of not being near her, not being able to stand next to her, kiss her, or even fucking breathe the same air as her. I'm not worthy of her. But damn it, I'm selfish. I'll do fucking anything to get her back. I need to prove to her that I'm worthy of her, to make her see that she's the most important person in my life.

I had a plan. I know it's going to work, but the challenging part was getting her to attend another Skellion party. Yes, I'm crazy if that's what you're thinking. Trust me it will work—it better, or I'm afraid I'll lose her forever.

Nervousness twisted in my stomach as I wandered into the library, hoping to find her in that back section where she liked to hide. When I spotted her, sitting on the carpeted floor with a history book in her hand, my heart did this stupid flip thing.

God, I missed her.

I watched her as she put the tip of her pen on her lips. She does this when she's focusing on something. Her hair was slightly messy, like she'd been running her hands through it, and I wanted so badly to reach out and touch it.

I could watch her like this forever.

She looked up, her eyes widening in surprise. "Oh my god! You scared me."

"Sorry," I said. It was the first time I'd been this close to her in weeks.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, her voice a mix of surprise and curiosity as she looked up from her book.

"I was looking for you..." I said, trying to keep my voice steady. I glanced around the dimly lit, cozy nook, the shelves filled with old, forgotten books. "Nice hangout," I joked, attempting to lighten the mood. But inside, my heart was pounding, and my hands felt clammy.

She rolled her eyes, a playful glint in her gaze. "Says the guy who takes his date to a cemetery." She smiled, and it was like a ray of sunshine breaking through the clouds. At least she was being playful; my heart fluttered with hope.

"How did..."

"Blake," she interrupted, her tone matter-of-fact, cutting me off before I could finish my question.

"Of course he did!" I sighed, shaking my head. Blake and his big mouth. I ran a hand through my hair, feeling a mix of irritation and amusement. "Can I sit?" I asked, pointing to the space next to hers, my voice softer, almost hesitant.

Sam looked surprised. I know, I would be because let's say I don't typically ask permission from anyone. I just do what I want if it's convenient for me.

"Su...sure," she responded, her voice breaking. She was nervous.

As soon as I sat next to her, I felt the tension between us, the heat building. It was the first time I was that close to her in weeks. I missed her so much it hurt. My eyes drifted to her lips, and I couldn't help but brush my tongue over my own. I wanted to say something, but my usual confidence was nowhere to be found. I felt like a nervous wreck.

"Nobody comes to this section of the library. So, it's a perfect place for me. I like it quiet," she said, breaking the awkward silence.

"Oh?" My mind started racing. "Nobody, as in no one ever visits this section?"

As soon as she said those words, my mind wandered off, imagining all the inappropriate things I'd want to do to her right there. The thought of having her all to myself, hidden away from everyone, sent a rush of desire through me. I pictured pinning her against the bookshelf, kissing her hard while my hands roamed all over her body. I imagined the soft sounds she'd make, the way her breath would catch as I traced my fingers down her back. The idea of her losing herself in the moment, forgetting about everything else, made my pulse race. It took all my self-control to keep it together, to stay focused on the here and now and not let my fantasies take over. But damn, the longing was there, steaming just under the surface.

Shit! I fucking couldn't think straight.

"I miss you, Sam," I said, my voice low, almost a growl, trying to keep it together. I felt a raw ache in my chest, the words barely capturing the depth of my longing and guilt.

"I miss you too," she confessed, and it felt like a punch to the gut. Hearing her say that made me realize just how much I needed her, how much I had messed up.

I couldn't stop myself. I moved closer, my face inches from hers. Her eyes widened, but she didn't pull away. My heart was pounding in my chest, my hands trembling slightly.

"Can I kiss you?" I asked, my voice trembling. I never asked for permission, but I needed her to want this as much as I did. I needed to know she still felt something for me.

She nodded, and that was all the encouragement I needed. I kissed her gently, softly. I'm not sure what got into me, but I have never kissed her this way before. Perhaps, I wanted to savour the feeling of her lips on mine, to feel our tongues explore each other's mouths like never before. Then it slowly built up, becoming deeper, hungrier, but still different from before. I didn't want this to fucking end, but I was barely holding on. I had to stop now before I ended up making love to her right here in the fucking library.

"That was amazing," I whispered, my face still close to hers.

She smiled, a bittersweet feeling settling in my chest.

"Listen, there's a Skellion party this Friday..."

I could feel her guard rising. She shook her head before I could even finish.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Devin," she said, her voice tinged with hesitation and a hint of sadness as she looked down, avoiding my gaze.

"Please, Sam. This would be the last one, my last one, I promise," I pleaded, leaning in slightly, desperation seeping into my tone. "And it would mean a lot to me if you came."

"Devin, I'm sorry—I... I don't think I can put myself out there again..." Her voice cracked slightly, and I could see the conflict in her eyes, the way she bit her lip, fighting back the emotions. I felt like someone has stab me on the chest. I did this to her. But I have to try and bring her back to me. And when that happens I will never hurt her again. 

"Please, Sam. Just one last time, I promise," I said, my voice almost a whisper. I reached out, my fingers brushing against hers, a silent plea for her to trust me.

She met my eyes, her gaze intense as if she were searching them for any sign of deception. The seconds felt like hours. Finally, she responded, "Fine, I'll think about it."

"Thank you!" I exhaled, relief washing over me like a wave.

"I said I'll think about it," she reiterated, her voice firm, yet soft.

"A man can hope, you know?" I said, trying to smile, though my heart was still pounding. The corners of my lips lifted, attempting to mask the nervous energy bubbling within me.

"Mind if I stay for a bit?" I asked, my voice more tentative. "I promise I'll be quiet."

She hesitated for a moment, her eyes searching mine, before she nodded. "Sure, why not."For a while, we sat in comfortable silence, both of us absorbed in our own thoughts. I leaned back against the shelf, watching Sam read. Occasionally, I'd catch her glancing at me, a small smile playing on her lips. I continued to watch her, absorbing every minute of that moment, breathing every molecule of the same air she breathed, making a time stamp of this moment alone with her in my mind.