Episode 11

" Thank you for coming today, Richard," Sarah's elderly great aunt Sarah Wyatt said quietly as she embraced both him and his daughter in the parlor of her colonial style house. " It has been so long since I have seen you. I always thought it a shame you and Sarah ended your marriage. But every marriage doesn't last I know. " She nodded sagely with her highly wrinkled jowls trembling slightly. " But what does an old spinster like me know about relationships? "

Rebecca said," Daddy got married. To Daddy Nigel. I had a new dress for it and got to sprinkle flowers. Silk ones because Daddy Nigel is allergic to real ones. "

The old woman appeared startled at the news but to her own credit she rebounded good. She smiled at him and the child and patted his arm gently. " Good for you. I hope this one takes. I've always thought you had a very good heart in you. You have a good capacity for love, Richard. I wish you luck with your new husband. Now do pardon me. I must greet the other guests. Help yourself to food and drink. It'll just go to waste otherwise. I don't eat much anymore. "

With one last gentle smile she almost seemed to float away.

Richard was then approached by the one man he did not wish to see or talk to today. Or any day. Winston Arnett. He was accompanied by an older man who looked faintly familiar until it clicked in his mind that he was Republican Senator Reilly Arnett. And beside the senator with her well groomed bejeweled hand on his arm was Richard's own mother Doris. Doris ignored him and oddly enough Rebecca who seemed to shrink in the presence of her grandmother. The child shifted to stand behind her father and tried to hide her face against his back.

" Good day ," Reilly bellowed out as his cold blue eyes took in Richard and especially Rebecca. " So this is my granddaughter. And the man holding her against her will. "

Richard narrowed his eyes. " This is my daughter. And I am not holding her against her will. I am her father. I have been her father nine years. And I plan to be her father until I pass on. My name is on the birth certificate. And Winston here knows this. Winston, you'll be hearing from my lawyer today. Jeremiah Duncan. He's filing a petition for full legal custody for Rebecca with the court today. "

Winston remained silent and almost seemed to cower behind his father as the older man snapped," DNA says otherwise. And our lawyer Amanda Charm will eat up your little Duncan fellow in court. This little girl will be where she belongs soon. With her real family. Not two....."

Richard bristled slightly and interjected with," I think it's best we leave. We have a new DNA test to arrange. "

Doris laughed. " And it will show the same results as before. Richard, I know you are not as intelligent as your brother but even you should know when you're beaten. "

Rebecca whispered," Daddy, what are they talking about? Can we go home? They scare me. Even GrandMother. "

Doris swept her cold eyes over the child. " I'm not your grandmother, child. I'm nothing to you anymore. "