Episode 19

" Lane , Browne," Lieutenant Hannah Henson barked from her open office door. She looked meaner and nastier that day than she usually did , Faith noticed. Maybe that rumor about the hemorrhoids on her flat ass was true. The ones about her and Browne hooking up before Browne got with her late wife seemed to be true. " Get your asses in gear , both of you, and over to that bougie ass Evergreen Acres neighborhood in National Harbor. We , or I should say you two , got the mother and father of all red balls. In fact this one is destined to give us all a case of blue balls. " Faith and Nita exchanged wary glances at each other as the lieutenant tossed a couple of Tums in her mouth and crunched on them loudly. They stood up almost in unison and reached for their individual service weapons  that they had tucked away in the bottom drawers of their desks.

" Evergreen Acres? ," Nita said swiftly. " What could ever go down in the land of Mercedes Benz and Starbucks on the way to the kiddy soccer game? "

" Yeah ," Faith put in with a rude smirk," did some rich man  beat one of their slaves for not dusting properly? "

Hannah narrowed her eyes at them. " Take this shit seriously. This ain't a joke. It's far from a joke. In fact it's going to be mega overtime and the media is going to be on our asses like a...."

" Like a hemorrhoid?," Faith offered up helpfully with what she hoped was a straight face.

Nita put a hand to her face to hide the sudden smile that came to her lips.

Hannah pursed her lips. " No. Like my boot up your ass , Lane. It's that damn Bullet Lane. Which means Browne is primary. Not you , Lane. We got a drug overdose at the secretary of state's personal house. Not the one in DC. Evergreen fucking Acres. Wish it had been D.C.". 

That tidbit sent a chill down the spines of not only Faith and her partner but everyone in the squad room.

" It's the twelve year old daughter," Hannah snapped tersely," Sydnei Chou. She's dead and it's drug related. Williams, Jacks , go with them and back them up. Don't talk to media. And don't fuck this up. Especially you, Lane. "