Episode 13

" So I can go to the dance this Friday or not ? ," Luci asked that afternoon almost as soon as she got in from school. Theodore had not come in. He had been oddly evasive and mumbled something about needing to work on a special project with Sol next door. Luci didn't have a clue what the special project was but she would find out. Later. She had more important things to do anyway. Like ambush politely or not so politely her uncles who were in the kitchen having coffee and the chocolate chip cookies Glory had baked before she and Andrew moved into their rental house. " Me and Theodore both want to go. He's going alone though. I have a date. "

Spencer was still distracted by the news his brother had just texted him. He could not believe his nephew had tried to kill himself. Maybe it ran in the family, he mused as he remembered his own failed attempt with pills at thirteen. Lewis was just a year younger.

DuBuis was hardly distracted. He leaned forward and put down his favorite coffee mug that said " Doc In Da House". " A dance is fine but dating? Oh no , little girl, you are not dating until you are sixteen. If then. Right, Genius? "

Spencer blinked his eyes at his husband. " What? Oh. Yes. I think sixteen is a quite sufficient age to embark upon the activity of coupling among teenagers. "

DuBuis blinked his eyes back at Spencer. And Luci just looked confused. " Yeah. Ummm. What your Uncle Spencer said. You and Theodore can go to this dance on , what, Friday night but no date. And don't go pouting on me. Just because you are in middle school don't forget you're only twelve.
Plenty of time to date in high school. " Then he picked up a cookie and took a big bite of it. " Good cookie. Not as good as yours though, baby. "

Spencer smiled and checked his phone to see if his brother had texted anymore. No. He was getting nervous. He wanted to go with Richard to offer support but his brother had said no. He knew it was irrational but he felt hurt and rejected. " Thank you but I just know how to follow a proper recipe, sweetie. "

Luci rolled her eyes at them both and put her hands on her hips stubbornly. " Why do I have to wait? I'm mature enough. And Alan is a good guy. "

They looked at each other when she mentioned the boy's name. DuBuis was the first to ask ," Who is Alan ? I thought it might be Sol. And maturity has nothing to do with it. The rule is no dates until sixteen. It ain't changing, baby girl. Also we're going to be at this dance as chaperones. "

Luci was horrified. " No ! I'll be humiliated. Y'all too old to be at a middle school dance. "

Spencer was also perplexed. " What will I do at a dance? I can't walk much less dance. And I couldn't dance even before the acc..... the shooting. "

DuBuis laughed. To Luci he said," If you and Theodore are going we're going. Trust me. You'll live to see Saturday. "

To his husband he teased wryly," Don't need to dance, Genius. We're just there to help keep the school dance g rated. "

Luci stomped her feet on the linoleum floor. " This is going to be awful! Thanks for ruining my life, Uncle D ! "

Then she raced upstairs.