Episode 16

( Texts )

Nigel: Princess, are you ok? You didn't eat any pizza. I got your favorites on it. Banana peppers and extra cheese and sausage.

Rebecca: I don't want pizza. I want Daddy.

            --------

With his phone in his hand Nigel stepped from his and Richard's bedroom where he was finally managing to unpack the very last box and arrange the room to his own liking as well as to what he knew his husband would be comfortable with.  He moved down the carpeted upstairs hallway down to the bedroom his nine year old stepdaughter had chosen. And like Richard had said it was indeed the biggest one that overlooked the tall oak tree in the front yard. The door was open and he looked inside to see Rebecca on her single bed with the bright pink blanket with the hearts and flowers and canopy. She was crying and had her thumb in her mouth.

The sound of her sobbing nearly tore his heart into two pieces. He stepped inside, saying," Princess, are you ok ? Don't cry please. "

Rebecca sat up abruptly and with tears still running down her face shot out," Go away! Just like Daddy did! "

Nigel stopped moving. " Princess. Your daddy will be back. He's going to get your brother. He....."

" No ! He's not ! He left me ! Poppy left too ! Just like Mommy did. And you both said Lewis is sick. They'll all go to heaven like Mommy did ! " She picked up her giant pink teddy bear with the frilly tutu and tossed it at him. It hit him on his chest and bounced off to fall onto the carpeted floor. " He promised me he would never leave! But he did ! And that mean big man  said I was not his daughter! The man with Mommy's boyfriend Winston and my grandmother. Grandmother said I wasn't her granddaughter! They told Daddy that today ! I don't want to live with them. I want to live with you and Daddy! And Mommy ! "

Nigel didn't know what to do or say. She was in such pain with her little rounded face trembling as she cried on her bed. He shook his head. " Don't listen to the mean man or your grandmother. Of course he is your daddy. He's coming back home. I promise. So is Poppy. And Lewis will too. He's going to be fine, your brother is. I promise..... "

" Daddy promised too ! He said he would never leave and you would never leave me ! But he did ! He left ! Just like Mommy ! You'll leave too ! Mommy told me before I came to stay with Daddy that he would not be with you long. She said Daddy would leave you like he had her and his other wives. She said Daddy was not capable of being with anyone. She told me you were going to leave. Then I will be alone. I don't want to be alone ! "

Nigel felt extreme anger building within himself at the mention of Sarah. The woman was dead but he hated her. She had no right telling such things to a child. Especially untrue things. And this whole thing was all her fault anyway. Why did she have to go sleeping around on Richard with that man or anyone? If she had not cheated then Rebecca's biological status to Richard wouldn't be an issue at all. A wave of dizziness overtook him and he grabbed hold of the door to steady himself. What the hell? He had taken his iron pill earlier. Maybe it just took time to work in his body. And with the move and all he had not had much to eat today.

" Rebecca, Princess, you need to calm down.  You're going to make yourself sick.  Your daddy will ......"

Rebecca poked out her lip and screamed at him," You can't tell me what to do ! You're not my daddy ! And that man said Daddy wasn't either ! Just go away and leave me alone ! I hate you ! "