Episode 33

Tuesday September 17 , 2024

Faith woke up a hour late the next day. She was pissed that her so called wife Melinda had let her oversleep. She was feeling exhausted that her sleep last night had been disturbed by the dead child the past day. It had been her first homicide case with a child that young. And the girl had literally haunted her dreams the past night. Skipping all around in the empty except for her squad room and asking her why she had to die the way she had. Before she had awoke her last memory of Sidnei Chou was her saying," Bullet did it".

She opened her eyes, ready to chew out Melinda for letting her oversleep. But the woman was already gone. The only trace of her in the bedroom in their Takoma Park apartment was her tangy perfume on her pillow.

And the note that said simply " Let you sleep in because you got zero sleep last night. If your lieutenant says shit tell her to fuck off , baby".

Yeah, she mentally snorted. Like that would work. She crumbled up the paper and tossed it across the room until it hit the wall. She was in the middle of a red ball drug related homicide case that involved a kid. A wealthy prominent kid. The only excuse Henson would tolerate from her was that she was on life support in the hospital with her family trying to pray her out the light. And maybe not even then.

She swung her legs off the bed and yawned. She should have listened to her Mama. Went to school to be a damn teacher. Maybe then she could have called in sick. Least as a teacher she wouldn't have to face  dead kids and the carnage they left in people's lives.

Her phone beeped and she glanced at the text message.

Nita: Where the hell are you? Henson is spitting bullets she's so mad. Get in here. The parents of the vic's friends are siding with that principal. They don't want us talking to their kids. And the ME finished the autopsy already. Pays to be prominent. The kid did have a heart problem and it was made worse by the coke in her system.  Anyway get your ass in here.

She sighed and ran her hands over her face. She wanted a drink so badly. She thought about calling Andrew Norland. Then she remembered he was in England or something with his son about the grandson. Another kid with issues.

She stumbled off the bed and headed for the bathroom but instead made a detour to the kitchen where she knew Melinda had a six pack in the refrigerator.

One beer couldn't hurt.

Not one beer. Maybe it would push the kid from her head so she could have some damn peace.