Episode 34

" Rebecca, you need to eat your breakfast and stop playing with it , " Nigel said as he stood up from the kitchen table. Then a wave of intense dizziness overtook him suddenly and he was forced to grab the table to stop from falling down. " Hurry up and finish, Princess, or you'll be late for school. "

Shit, he thought to himself. He was taking the bloody iron medicine regularly like that doctor said. He was eating more regularly and trying to eat more iron rich foods. Shouldn't the dizziness be going away? Maybe it was stress ? Possibly, he mused as he kept standing and holding the table with his eye closed , waiting as the moment of vertigo passed by the way it usually did. He was going to make a visit to his regular doctor just to double check the symptoms. Perhaps the iron needed to be increased. He would do that after Richard returned to the states , and on the secret as well. There was no point telling his husband unless there was something major wrong.

Rebecca stirred her cereal and gazed at him casually with wonder in her eyes. " Daddy will be back today, right? And stinky Lewis? And Poppy ? "

Nigel said," Not today. They're flying home today but it's a long flight from England to America. At least several hours. I should know. I've done it years ago. But they'll all be here tomorrow. Are you excited to see your big brother? "

Rebecca wiggled her nose and made a face. " No. I don't like my brothers. Lewis teases me. And Niles is just meanie pants. "

Nigel started to clear the table of all dishes besides his stepdaughter's own and thought that his oldest stepson was indeed meanie pants.

               ---------

" Are you sure you two feel up to going to school today? ," DuBuis asked as he gathered with his own family around their breakfast table. " We heard about the poor girl that passed away at your school. "

Spencer looked up from his phone in which he was looking up late breaking news on his soap The Rich and The Beautiful, saying," Technically the child did not die at the school, sweetie, but at her home. Of course it is very sad. I can't imagine her poor parents having to lose a child like that. "

Theodore finished off his plate of bacon and cheese covered scrambled eggs. " I don't really care. I mean I didn't really know Sidnei. At all. She was in sixth grade. I'm in eighth. I just hope everyone won't be crying like yesterday. Isn't death normal? "

He thought to himself that none of them would have cried or been that upset in the entire school if he had drowned at the pool party. They probably would have celebrated his not being around anymore. Maybe even Luci, he mused as he glanced over at her as she as usual ignored her breakfast to tap at her phone.

Luci said with an edge to her words," It's not normal for kids like us. Sidnei wasn't old like Uncle D and Uncle Spencer. "

DuBuis exchanged amused looks with Spencer and said," Yes. We're really ancient with one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. In fact maybe we should make a will. "

Spencer lifted his eyes from his phone. " I have already made a will. Everything goes to you. But I suppose I need to update it and add the children. And my father. And my mother Glory. Maybe Richard and Nigel but they don't need anything from me. "

" So ," Luci asked as she ignored boring discussion of death and wills," can I make an appointment with the hormone doctor? "

DuBuis sighed deeply. " Yes. I've looked this doctor up online. He seems legit. We can make you an appointment. "

For the first time since she had set down at the table his niece actually looked up from her constant companion , her phone, and smiled widely at him. " Thanks, Uncle D ! I love you. "

DuBuis smiled back. " Good to know. I love you too. And..... Spencer....."

Without missing a beat as he read who was leaving his soap, Spencer said in a  matter of fact manner ," No phones at the table. "

DuBuis's smile increased. " Yeah. That one. I applied for a new job last night. Staff doctor at the Barrington Academy student clinic. "

All three froze in place and looked at him. The first to speak was Luci who exclaimed dramatically," Oh my God no ! You can't work at my school ! Is it your new hobby to embarrass me ! "

DuBuis reached for his cup of coffee. " Not a hobby but it is fun. "