Episode 42

At Reagan Washington National Airport as his father was retrieving their luggage with his increasingly devoted grandson Lewis by his side Richard was trying to call his husband for the second time. The phone just rang and rang until it got the voicemail which had the crisp automated voice efficiently declaring that Nigel was currently unavailable to take the call and to please leave a message at the beep. He did not leave another message but instead hung up with a feeling of growing nervousness and dread building within himself. And suspicion.

Was the man alright? Was he still having dizzy spells? What if he passed out again? What if he had did it at home alone or with only Rebecca there ?

His lips thinned. Or was this like when he had taken business trips before in his previous marriages ? He would go out of town and his wives each had chosen to play. No , he told himself abruptly. Nigel was the most loyal person he knew. He would never cheat on anyone. Richard wanted to laugh. The only mistress that Nigel had was the restaurant. This was ironic. Now Richard was the one competing with someone's job. Was this what each of his exes had felt like? , he wondered as he joined his father and son at the baggage area.

" Did you reach him , son ? ," Andrew asked with an air of distraction. The older man tried to hide a sudden yawn with his hand. Lewis was glued to the Switch he held in his hands. " I called Glory myself. She wanted to pick us up but I said no. Told her we would just grab an Uber from here to home instead. Glory has a lead foot when she drives. "

Richard was about to respond when his phone suddenly rang. He looked down. It was his husband. Seeing that had an invisible weight rolling off his shoulders and as he answered it he was smiling. " Hello , darling," he said. " Please say you are not at the restaurant still? "

Nigel laughed. " No. Actually I am on the Metro heading home. Rebecca is fine. She went to Spencer and DuBuis's house. She's currently playing video games with Luci and Theodore and Sol. I'll grab her on the way home. Bit tired tonight. Think it's a pizza night tonight for dinner. Maybe Chinese. Are you all here , love? "

Richard's smile increased. " We are. We're at the airport and will take an Uber back home. Let me grab Thai on the way. We both like that and Rebecca isn't too hateful of it. Wait." He looked at Lewis and asked," Son , do you like to eat Thai food? "

His twelve year old son didn't hear him first. He lifted his head after a few minutes of Richard calling his name , looked at him and blinked his eyes rapidly. " Huh ? Ummm. Thai ? Yeah I can eat it. It beats English food. They eat stuff called spotted dick. Gross. "

Richard kept smiling as the boy then returned to the device he held in his hands. " Yes. Thai it is. How do you feel? "

Nigel responded," Tired and missing you. I want my late birthday present tonight when you get home and the kids are in bed. "

Richard murmured," And what would that be, sir ? "

He could almost feel his man smiling over the phone. " Well it involves you and whipped cream and chocolate sauce. "