Episode 1

Sunday September 15, 2024

The scene that greeted Dr. DuBuis Lane as he hurried into the dark paneled dining room followed by an equally concerned Spencer in his wheelchair and Reverend Lynn was of a large highly polished oak wood dining table piled with plates and bowls of food although the only person sitting at the table nibbling ravenously upon a chicken leg  was Melinda Velez. Everyone else including the young people Luci , Sol , Theodore and Rebecca were gathered around the collapsed form of Nigel Hawthorne - Cyrus Norland who lay just inches away from the table with Richard kneeling beside him. Seeing all this spurred DuBuis directly into doctor mode. 

" What the hell happened ? , " DuBuis demanded to know as he fell to his own jeans clad knees beside them both , his strong dark brown fingers reaching out for Nigel's wrist to check for a pulse.  It was fairly strong and stable. Not thready. " Did he hit his head when he fell ? " 

DuBuis gently rolled the young man into a recovery position onto his side since he was still unconscious and he didn't know if there was any type of spinal damage.  He adjusted Nigel's legs so that his hips and knees were forming a right angle.  He tenderly tilted back his head to keep his airway open in case he vomited. To the still speechless people surrounding him DuBuis once again snapped out , " What happened ! Richard !  Talk to me. " 

Richard couldn't speak in that moment. His mouth opened but nothing came out. His hand trembled as they stroked his husband's motionless face. Rebecca ran over to them with tears running down her face , asking if Nigel was ok. 

Andrew was the first to recover the power of speech as he haltingly said , " He was fine. Then he stood up to get a pitcher of lemonade from the kitchen. He was making a joke. He was laughing. Then he just passed out. I don't think he hit his head going down. "

Melinda finished her chicken leg and reached for a wing. " Yeah. I thought he just fell because he can't see shit with one damn eye. " She belched indelicately. " Good chicken. Got any hot sauce? Faith , get me something to drink. "

Spencer looked at her with dislike. " Could you please shut up ? Sweetie , I called 911. "

DuBuis pulled back Nigel's eyelid slightly to peer at his eye. " Good. " 

Melinda wiped her face with a linen napkin. " You can try tossing cold water in his face. "