Episode 70

" I'm fine," Richard snapped tersely as he sat up on the stretcher in the triage room of the Arlington hospital emergency room that the ambulance had rushed him to immediately after collapsing in his office. He ripped the oxygen mask off his face. " I'm fine. I'm not having a heart attack. I need to get my daughter back. "

Nigel was beside him and he stroked his face. " Calm down, Richard. The doctor said you didn't have a heart attack. Looks more like a panic attack. But they are just checking you out good to make sure. Please calm down. "

Richard shook his head stubbornly. " Calm down? I think not. That man has my daughter. I need to get out of here and back to the office so I can start working on a better defense and attack. Arnett is not getting away with this. And neither is Beverly. Where's Lewis? "

Nigel felt unsteady and had to sit down on the chair close to Richard. He reached for his husband's hand and squeezed it in support. " You are not going back to work. You're going home as soon as they release you. Jeremiah Duncan and your partners are working on an appeal as we speak. I explained the situation with you and Niles and Beverly and Jeremiah thinks he can say Beverly was just being vindictive and get her order stayed. And her removed as judge in this case. And I still want to take her to the test appointment tomorrow. No , Friday. It's on Friday. I don't know if Winston will allow it but I am going to try. And Lewis is with Glory at her and Andrew's house. Spencer and DuBuis are here in the waiting room. So is my mother. So is Andrew. We will get her back. "

He leaned forward and looked hard into Richard's eyes. His devastated and hurt eyes. " We will get our precious girl back home where she belongs. Jeremiah is also filing for an emergency hearing tomorrow. But I need you to calm down. The last thing you need, I need, Rebecca needs is you getting sick again. We need you to remain strong. Or at least let me be strong for you. "

Richard shook his head. " I can't just do nothing at all. I have to do something. " He pulled Nigel to his body and held him tightly. " I have to do something. I can't lose my little girl. I just can't. "

" You won't," Nigel vowed sternly. " We won't."

                 -----------

In the hallway of the emergency room Andrew said over the phone," What kind of a mother are you, woman ? Tell that man to give our granddaughter back to her father. "

Doris laughed. " Andrew, I know it's been a long time since you practiced law but that's not how this works. Winston is the father. He has a DNA test to that degree. She is not our granddaughter. Anymore than Spencer is your son. "

Andrew snapped tersely," Don't start that shit again. I got a DNA test of my own done. Spencer is my son. That's not what I'm concerned about right now. I'm at the hospital where Richard was just taken. He's very upset. He wants Rebecca back. "

Doris laughed even harder. " I don't know what test you have but I have my own that I had done years ago after he was born. It said he was not your son. He's no more a Norland than Rebecca is. In fact I can't wait to tell Reilly his family tree is expanding as we speak. "

" What are you talking about now! "

Doris said sharply," I'm talking about the fact that I had a DNA test done that proves Spencer's real father is Senator Reilly Arnett. Your test must be as faulty as your mind. "

Andrew felt like he was about to explode. " You are insane. You are a pathological liar. Spencer is my son! He is not the son of Reilly Arnett! "

" What? ," he heard from directly behind him and he turned to see his younger son Spencer staring at him in horrified disbelief from his wheelchair. " What do you mean ? Of course you are my father. "

Then he paused speaking as he paled gradually. " Aren't you? Dad ? "

                  To Be Continued In Odds of Love Season Nine dropping soon.