Episode 62

" Nicholas, darling," Matilda said over the phone line to her son," no , I'm sorry. Nigel. You'll always be my little Nicholas to me. You were such a precious baby boy. "

Nigel smiled as he stood in the restaurant overseeing the final physical preparations of renovations to the restaurant. He stepped into a back room that he had picked as his own office space. He sat down on a chair behind a metal desk that was fairly cluttered with paint samples, prospective and rejected menus and job applications. " It's alright what you call me, Matilda. I still want to use Nigel. I mean that's been my name since  , well ,  forever. How are you today? "

Matilda laughed and replied," I do wish you would call me Mum. I am  , you know. I did enjoy meeting your husband Richard. And your stepchildren. Such a lovely family you have. You're very lucky. I am also fine. I just wanted to call and tell you belated happy birthday. I have a gift for you as well. When I come for Sunday dinner I will bring you some old baby pictures I took before you were taken away from me. And I have a check for you, dear. It's not much. A hundred dollars. "

Nigel shook his head in disbelief. " Matilda. Mum. I am delighted about the pictures. I would love to see and have my baby pictures. I can't wait to show you my and Richard's wedding pictures. It was a beautiful wedding. I wished you had been there.  But I don't need the money. Can you afford this? "

Matilda smiled as she sipped at her tall white chocolate mocha and answered," Of course I can , dear. And you will take it. After all, family takes care of each other. "