Episode 49

" You certainly have a very good work history as a server , Miss Klein," Nigel said as he sat across from his prospective server applicant LuLu Klein at a small oak wood table in the front of Richard and Nigel's dining area. He looked from the application he had printed out from the Indeed website to the resume on the tabletop. Then he looked at the woman who smiled back at him prettily. She was a middle aged woman with dyed pink hair pulled into a slightly messy ponytail and huge blue eyes. She wore a baggy pink pullover sweater over a pair of worn jeans. She seemed like she was flirting with him which was unfortunate for her, he thought to himself as he fought back an impulsive grin. Her experience was good. She had worked at a lot of bars in Alabama but there was a small gap in her work history that was troubling to him. Of course one thing that was to her credit was that she had looked at his scarred face and missing eye covered by the eye patch with zero reaction at all. That was actually a rarity. The only other person who had never reacted to his eye had been Richard when he showed up to be his temporary secretary six years ago. " But I am a bit concerned about the gap in your work history? Could you address that a little please? "

LuLu laughed sassily as she crossed her legs. " I'm be honest with you, Mr. Norland. I had a little run in with the law back in Alabama. Fighting and all. I was drinking. Not that that's an excuse but there it go. I'm trying to get clean though. For my kids. I have a thirteen year old son Sol  and a sixteen year old son Jimmy. I want to make a better life for them. Family is important after all. "

Nigel was quiet for a a long while. Yes. Family was important. This woman had a record but she was a mother. If she was serious about wanting to be there for her kids that was another thing to her credit as far as he was concerned. That was more than his own egg donor had thought of. At least she hadn't left her baby on the sidewalk on a crisp September day , naked to the elements and screaming his head off. " You're right. It is important. To start the hours would be part time. Once we get better established hours could go up a tad bit more. So the schedule can be flexible. I don't believe in underpaying workers because I am a worker myself. So I will be paying servers state minimum wage of fifteen dollars a hour. You can still keep tips. "

He saw a glint of greed glimmering within her eyes but that was alright. He had once been poor and desperate. He understood greed.

LuLu said a little too eagerly," When would you be needing me to start? "

" I'm planning on a soft opening for the restaurant in early October so......"

Then the front door of the restaurant flew open and in walked briskly an angry looking Joe Jacobs. Nigel lifted an eyebrow at the man and smiled coolly. " Hello, Joe. "

Joe snapped," Don't you hello Joe me , you freak of nature. I want you to stop stealing my workers to come work in this.... this whatever the hell you are opening. "

Nigel stood up and crossed his arms over his tee shirt wearing chest. " I'm not stealing anyone. I offered them a job and they accepted it. Very pleased they were too. You should be happy. I thought you could not afford to have too many employees. Right? "

Joe sneered at him," This is just pure bitterness because I fired you. Get over it, man. Save your sugar daddy hubby some money and shut this place down now. Because it will fail. You don't have the faintest clue how to run a real restaurant. You're just a poser. "

Nigel thinned his lips.

LuLu laughed harshly. " You the only one looking like a poser. In your fake ass leather jacket. You rude too. Interrupting a lady's interview. Why don't you go back to whatever rock you crawled out from? "

Nigel couldn't help himself. He burst out laughing so hard that he felt tears forming in his one good eye. 

Joe turned to Lulu and sneered ," Who the fuck are you? "

Nigel said casually," She's one of my servers. Because I like her spirit. And could you please leave my restaurant. I have a lot of work to do. Because I plan on blowing you out of the water. Cafe J will be a memory when Richard and Nigel's opens. "

Joe poked him in the chest. " The day that happens will be the day I die. "

Nigel smiled. " Is that a promise? "