Episode 65

( Texts )

Matilda: Darling boy , I don't know if I can make the dinner this Sunday.

Nigel : Why ? Is everything alright, Matilda? If it's transportation we can pick you up in the car.

Matilda: No. Dear , I was truly looking forward to going and meeting all your friends and other family but I think I need to work that night.

Nigel: Why ? You said you didn't work on Sundays ? So why so determined to work this Sunday? I would really like you and my sister and brother to be there. I want everyone to meet you all.

Matilda: I know you do, darling. You're so sweet. But I am a little short on next month's rent so I need to take on extra hours. It can't be helped. Maybe in a couple weeks I can meet your friends.

Nigel: How much do you need? I'm sure Richard would not mind us offering to help you. You are my mother after all.

Matilda: Nicholas , I mean, Nigel , I can not possibly take money from you. As I said I don't want your money. And it's so much.

Nigel: How much do you need ?

Matilda: Well I am just a little behind. Our rent on this tiny three bedroom apartment is two thousand dollars and well I am short one thousand. It's perfectly fine. I can pick up more hours and possibly do some Uber work. Maybe even temp work at an agency.

Nigel looked down at the accounts book he was currently examining as he had gotten the text from his mother. He bit on his bottom lip. They were moving so quickly preparing the restaurant for the soft and then grand opening; and were doing it efficiently enough that he wasn't spending as much money as he thought he would. And Richard said if he needed more to just ask.....

His mother needed help. His sister and brother needed help. And he was more than capable of offering it. Richard would understand. Wouldn't he ? , he worried slightly as he reached up to touch his furrowed brow. Then he picked up his phone and sent a new text.

Nigel: I don't want you working so hard. I don't want you doing Uber. It is not safe a woman picking up strangers in her car. I'll help. I'll give you the money. It's ok. A thousand dollars you say?

He lowered the phone and reached for the leather bound checkbook for Richard and Nigel's. He hesitated slightly. Then he proceeded to write out a check for one thousand dollars to Matilda Swan.