Episode 61

Thursday September 19 , 2024

" So your mommy is just back in your life after years? ," Rebecca asked curiously as she hungrily ate the cinnamon waffles Nigel had prepared for breakfast. " And you never knew her ? That's weird. "

Lewis was ignoring his own breakfast plate and his family as he played Pokemon on his Switch but even his head bobbed slightly" yes".

Richard looked at his husband who smiled at the little girl and said cheerily," It's a little bit off and maybe weird, Princess, but it's what happened. My mother is back in my life. And I have a sister and brother. "He smiled vibrantly and it almost hurt Richard in the heart to see. Richard silently prayed that this wouldn't backfire on Nigel.

Rebecca snorted. " I don't think it's great having a sister or a brother. I want to be an only child. " Then she stuck her tongue out at her brother who just rolled his eyes and ignored her.

Nigel laughed and Richard said," Pumpkin, don't make faces like that. Your face will freeze like that one day. "

Rebecca rolled her eyes at her father. " Oh , daddy, that is not true at all. I asked Uncle Spencer about that once and he said it was highly technically impossible for that to happen. He also said Santa doesn't exist. I know it's you and Mommy that gave me the bike last year. "

                     ----------

" Dear God," Spencer murmured in confusion as he read an news article in the Washington Post as he ate breakfast with his family.

DuBuis looked over at him. " What's wrong, Genius? Bad news in that soap of yours? ," he teased wryly.

Spencer shook his head as he lowered the front page of the newspaper slowly. His face seemed pale and pensive as he said," No. Apparently a man in a wheelchair was just murdered in Greenbelt. What...."

                     ---------

Faith rolled over and kissed Penelope awake. The woman opened her eyes groggily and smiled at her lover.

" Don't you think your husband will have missed you last night, darling? ," Faith asked. " It's me with the open marriage not you after all. "

Penelope laughed and sat up with the sheet and blanket sliding off her long lean nude body. " He wouldn't notice my absence at all. Trust me. Unless it affected the beloved Barrington Academy. Anyway I told him I was at a overnight poetry retreat. "

Faith made a face. " He actually believed that? " For a second she felt sorry for Gerald Hightower.

Penelope just laughed.

              --------

LuLu was talking enthusiastically about being hired by Nigel Norland for the restaurant as she ate breakfast with her son and mother in law. And about the " lovely" lawyer she had met at Union Station. Apparently they were going out to dinner that night.

Gertrude narrowed her eyes as she looked at her daughter in law who was wolfing down the breakfast food so heartily it was almost suspicious. The last time LuLu had eaten so well and so noisily the woman had been pregnant with Solomon. Her eyes then drifted downward to look at the woman's still flat belly.