Episode 18

Monday September 16 , 2024

" Princess, " Nigel said as he looked through the neatly arranged clothes in Rebecca's walk in closet," what about this cute pink dress for your first day of school? You'll look so pretty in it. "

Rebecca pouted and rubbed her eyes. Then she glared at him with all the fury of a nine year old child who still felt betrayed by the adults in her life. She stamped her little bare feet on the floor and spit out with the almost eerie regal flair of her grandmother Doris," I don't want to. I can pick my own clothes. Leave me alone. "

Nigel felt hurt at the harsh words from his stepdaughter but he ignored it. She was just a little girl, he reminded himself as he stepped from the closet. He forced a hopefully cheerful expression upon his face as he replied," Ok. You pick your own outfit, Princess. Don't forget to take a bath and brush your teeth. I'll be downstairs making breakfast. I think we'll have waffles today. "

Rebecca grumbled grumpily," I don't like waffles. Go away, Daddy Nigel. "

                  ---------

" I bet no other parents will be chaperones at the dance," Luci said glumly as she ate her cereal at the breakfast table with her uncles and a still sleepy Theodore. " So you should just stay home and do old man things? "

" I bet they will," DuBuis replied as he took his medicine with a gulp of coffee while Spencer asked in confusion," What is old man things? Technically I and DuBuis are not old men. We are just middle aged. Of course the very concept of middle age is shifting as demographics age. "

Luci rolled her eyes. " Ok. Ok. You all can embarrass me at the dance if you want. But only if I can start hormone treatments. " She looked at them with daring confidence in her brown eyes. " I even found a doctor. "

                     ------------

( Texts )

Richard: We're very close to England, darling. Should be there soon. How are things? Are you and Rebecca alright?

Nigel: I'm fine. Rebecca is a little grumpy today. I think we need to talk to her about the whole Sarah and Winston thing. She knows. She's not happy. I'm making that appointment today.

Richard: I was hoping I would not have to. I don't know the faintest thing to say to her about it. Damn it all. As long as you're there with me I'll figure out something though. Oh and I'm sorry I forgot.

Nigel: Forgot what?

Richard: Your birthday. It was yesterday. I'm sorry I forgot. Happy 28th birthday, my wonderful beautiful husband.

Nigel: Lol I forgot too. It's not a big deal. I don't really know my actual birthday. Yesterday was just the day they found me. And it's ok. You're forgiven. After all I am the one who reminds you of special events in your life. I love you. Be safe.

Richard: I love you too. You be safe too. What do you want for your birthday?

Nigel: I already have it.