Officer Miller.

Lucy received something every cop dreams of: a golden ticket. She took a day to think about how she could use it. Maybe it was her moment to have that detective position? Or maybe she should go for something else, like that day she was Celinas TO. It gave her so much confidence. She used her golden ticket for it. After she took and passed the exam, after she went to school for a month, she was now a new training officer at Mid-Wilshire station. Two months ago, she met her first new rookie: Officer Max Miller, badge number 34567. Tim got his own rookie too. He was back to being a TO.

Things between Tim and Lucy were better. A mix of Tim's redemption and Lucy's acceptance. They were building something new. Lucy was less mad at him; Tim was becoming the man he wanted to be for her. They were careful not to cross that line between them. It was not easy. Every uncontrolled touch, every hug they gave to each other, and every stare burned them from the inside. How many times did he drive to her apartment with the intent of kissing her? Too many. How many times did she want to block the elevator again with the two of them inside and kiss him? Too many. They didn't want to ruin everything they were now building. And from the outside, it was obvious that they were meant to be together. How funny it was to watch them flirting and being unaware of doing it. Slow-burning love.

It was a challenge to be a TO when Tim was back at it. They made it a competition. A new game between the two of them. When she was herself a rookie, she learned so much from him. She tried to remember the way he was and the way he saw things, and she used it. She mixed it with what she wanted to give herself. And for now, it worked.

Officer Miller was a nice young twenty-five-year-old man. Even if he had a lot of things to learn, he was already a good young cop. He had eyes; he was a hard worker. He was respectful and friendly. Lucy loved the way they were working together. Days were easy with him. It was a perfect match. One thing she used with him was her "Lucy lessons.". She enjoyed it so much.

At mostly every lunch break, her rookie bought her lunch, she was eating with the gang, and she talked about him with Tim. At first, it was a funny game between Tim and Lucy, but then Officer Miller became a touchy subject for someone. His look on him changed. Well, ok, Officer Miller did good today, but Tim didn't care. It was always "Miller knew that, Miller did that.". Deep inside of him, he tried to stay polite, to listen, and to answer when it needed to be. It became harder to not ask her to stop talking about him.

Today was not an exception. He was already sitting at their table when he saw her coming with him. She was laughing. Clearly, Officer Miller was a funny guy... amazing. He rolled his eyes more than once, and obviously Angela spotted it again.

A: You're staring
T: I'm not
A: Tim, you are.
T: I don't trust that guy.
A: It's not just about the trust you haven't, is it?
T: Look at them. All that flirting. It's inapropriate. Look at how he stares at her right now. All the discussion now is "Miller that, Miller that.". I don't fucking care about him. He's nothing. I can't believe she allows him to be so close to her.
A: Wait, where are you going?
T: Somewhere else, I don't want to ruin everything again. Boot, shop now!
A: Bradford?
T: What?
A: Jealousy suits you, Blondie.

Tim didn't answer. He knew Angela was enjoying this too much. It was not jealousy, or maybe it was? Maybe it was too much to handle when you're still in love with someone. It was a constant reminder that any man on this planet could steal her. Lucy saw him disappear in his shop. She sat next to Angela.

L: Where is Tim going?
A: He didn't tell me.
L: Is he okay?
A: Yeah, why?
L: Just asking. He's been acting weird for a few days.

She won't admit it, but she was a bit sad to not spend her lunch break with him. Today, she didn't enjoy it as much as she wished.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tim was sitting in front of his shrink. Silent. Fidgetting with his fingers was a bad habit he took from her. After two weeks, he took his distance with Lucy. He hated that, but for his own mental health, he had to. What happened between her and her rookie was consuming him. Everything he did was for her, and maybe for nothing. Because of Officer Miller.

T: Lucy has this new perfect rookie. Young and confident. You can also add funny and touchy-feely. He is everywhere and the main subject of our discussion. I can't pretend anymore. He can't stop staring at her, and she seems to like it; maybe she likes him too. I had to distance myself from her, from them, and from that. I didn't want to ruin the fragile thing we have. She's happy; she's laughing again; he made her laugh. I can't take that from her. And I don't trust him.
S: Did you talk to her?
T: Why? What should I say? "Hello Luce, you seem happy; you like the guy you have my benediction for? Wait, I don't trust him! But if you're happy, go for it.".
S: Answer by yes or no: Do you love her?
T: Yes.
S: So maybe you should have a talk with her. You don't see it now, but all the answers you need were in the speech you made earlier. You will exactly know what to say when you stand in front of her.

Maybe she was right. Maybe he needed to have a talk with Lucy. Another one.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It took him three days to make a move. He was the last one to join for the lunch break. It was now, or maybe never. He was behind her and decided to whisper "A word?"" in her ear. She nodded and followed him. They sat in a quiet place. It was just him and her. No Officer Miller around.

L: Something wrong?
T: No. Yes.
L: Tim?
T: Miller.
L: What, Miller? What did he do?
T: He's too... perfect.
L: Oh, I see...
T: No, Luce. He's way too perfect. The way he looked at you, the way he touched your arm, the way he made you smile and laugh—I can't. To be honest, even if I'm not good at sharing feelings and everything, it's killing me every day to see you two together. I'm not him. And for now, you seem to be happier when he is by your side.
L: Tim, are you jealous?
T: No.
L: Tim?
T: Yes... What's funny?
L: Nothing.. But Tim is my rookie.
T: You were mine, remember?
L: Yes, I was. But he's just friendly. There's nothing more than a TO/Rookie bond. I swear.

The way she looked at him gave Tim confidence. He was still processing her speech. He admitted he was jealous. Was it just jealousy? Was it a mix with the fear of losing her for good? He was still damn much in love with her. Everything he did was for her. He wanted her back. He knew he could wait years, but was it the same for her? Was she ready to move on? Because he wasn't. Lost in his thoughts, he didn't hear his radio. Her simple brush on his skin brought him back to reality. "You've been dispatched," she said. "7-Adam-19, repeat and show us responding" he said. He just looked at her before yelling at his rookie to run to the shop. It made her laugh, but i didn't hear it. She laughed because of him that time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

End of the shift. He was surprised to see Lucy waiting next to his truck. He stopped himself right in front of her. They stared at each other before Lucy kissed him. Surprised at first, Tim cupped her face with his shaky hands and deepened their kiss. He missed it so much; he missed her skin, her hands on him, and the butterflies in his stomach. He missed everything. She gently stopped kissing him, and while she was smiling against his lips, she admitted, "It's you; it's always been you.". He took her hand and intertwined their fingers. "Dinner? " He asked. She smiled and followed him. After the discussions they had earlier, something changed in her heart. She was ready. She missed him more than she could admit. Everything he did, she knew he did it for her. He was capable of changing and being better just for her. He tried to hide the jealousy he had just because he wanted her happy. She was still deeply in love with him. Maybe he could thank Officer Miller.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
24/06/2024: Hello guys! First thanks to @Chenford1212 for the idea and thanks to @pompom_5113 for the name of that new rookie. It was fun to write! Maybe you saw some picture from season 7 and all the theories with that new rookie. Can't stop thinking about it. If Lucy is a TO, that means a huge time skip between season 6 and season 7... because she has to pass the TO exam, and go to " TO school " to learn even if she win a golden ticket (i try to remember how it was for Nolan). I'm thinking way too much !

Please don't forget to comment and vote. It helps. And please give me ideas, i really enjoyed to write your ideas :)