Tell me you aren't that supid.

Did you already have second thoughts? Like something is going to happen or something is happening right under your nose and you don't know?

Well, it was exactly Lucy's situation right now, and it was killing her inside. After nearly a year, a breakup, and another year of relationship with Tim, it was where she was. Something has been wrong for a couple of weeks. At first, she thought it was just work, but it wasn't. They moved in together five months ago, and four months later, it felt like everything had changed. It began with a date night cancellation because he had to stay at work. The same week, he came home later with no reason, twice. Since then, twice a week, he came home when she was already asleep, took his shower, kissed her forehead, and laid down on his side of the bed. When she asked where he was, every time he had an excuse. But his excuses were shifty.

One Sunday morning, when he was taking his shower, Lucy decided to do something she had never done before: she went through his phone. Nothing suspicious until she read some texts from an unknown number. Always the same thing: A date, a time, a place. She locked it and put it back where it was. Okay, it didn't mean anything, right? Maybe it was a CI? Or maybe not. Maybe it was the reason Tim came home late; maybe it was the reason Tim was a bit cold recently.

Around 1 p.m., Lucy was cooking something for lunch when she spotted Tim on his phone, texting. Again. She asked him who he was talking to. "Work," he answered. Work on his day off? It could be a possibility. Or maybe it didn't. Tim forgot his phone on the counter while he was out with Kojo. At the same moment, his phone rang, it was a text. Lucy had a quick look at the screen. "Do you think she knows? Let me know. ". Whoa. What was that? Who is that? She took her own phone and dialed the number on Tim's phone screen. "Hey, Ava's voicemail, I'm not available right now; leave a message, and I will call you back.". Who the fuck was Ava? Was he really out with Kojo, or did he join her and leave his phone on purpose at home?

After weeks of doubts, a stupid phone call gave her answers. After all they've been through? After all the promises he made ? After all the pain he put her through ? After weeks of holding back her tears, she couldn't control it anymore. He was like the others: a liar. What did you do, Bradford? And then she hated herself more than him. She trusted him more than anyone else because she was in love with him; she never stopped loving him. Lost far away in her thoughts, Kojo brought her back to reality. Tim was home. And she couldn't endure it anymore.

L: Tell me you aren't that stupid, Tim.
T: What?
L: Who's Ava?
T: Ava?
L: Oh, come on, Tim, she just texted you, "Do you think she knows?".
T: You went through my phone?
L: Yes. And you want to know why? Because you came home late too many times with no reason or no apology, I'm lying; it was always because of work. But do you remember that we were working at the same place? You canceled date nights for the same reason. You want to talk about your phone? Well, tell me why every time you went home late, I can link it to a date, an hour, and an address. After all we've been through, Tim, you're cheating on me with her? Believe me, I wanted to follow you at first to catch you, but I have too much respect for myself. Who the fuck is Ava?

And then the house was silent. Tim was standing there, speechless. He took a step forward, and she took a step backward. He was staring at her, unable to say anything.

L: Well, your silence speaks for itself.
T: Lucy, you don't get it.
L: Oh, I don't get it. Who is she?

Another silence. Another painful silence. That time, she was the one who took a step forward. She tried to slap him. But he stopped her before she could.

T: Lucy, please.
L: Who is she?
T: She's someone
L: Thank you, captain obvious.
T: Lucy..
L: You know what? You don't want to talk, fine, but I'm leaving.

She stared at him, pushed him, took her bag, her car's keys, and opened the door.

T: She's my estate agent. And no, I'm not cheating on you.

She froze, closed the door, and turned over to face him.

T: Yes, I came home later, sometimes very late, and yes, I'm a bit cold. And yes, work wasn't the best reason to choose. But no, I'm not cheating on you with her or with anyone else. It became a bit complicated for me to juggle between my schedule, work, you, therapy, and this. When you moved in, something was wrong. I decided to go back to therapy to figure it out. This home is not ours; it's mine; it was Isabel and me home, but not ours. This home was the specter of my old life. Therapy session after therapy session, I realized that, and more importantly, I realized I wanted more with you. And it couldn't happen here. I wasn't cheating on you, Luce. And it was supposed to be a surprise for our birthday in two days. Now I realize I should have done this differently. I was looking for a new house, Lucy. Every date, every hour, and every location was a house. I was trying to find us somewhere we could build something new. And on our birthday, I was supposed to take you to visit them and find our home. And with the hope we find something, I had planned to ask you to marry me. So no, Lucy, I was not cheating on you. And I'm deeply sorry for all the doubts you had about me and the situation. I know I messed up, and i know i hurt you. Will you forgive me, love?

Right now, she was the one who was speechless. Their past didn't help. At all. Suddenly, she felt so stupid. She yelled at him; she wanted to slap him and leave him.

L: You.. I.. Tim.. I'm sorry.
T: You don't have to be sorry. For anything. I'm the idiot.
L: Going through your phone didn't help.
T: At least it taught you something.
L: Tim...
T: Too soon?
L: Yeah.. Try again tomorrow. But you should have told me about the house.
T: It was supposed to be a surprise, Lucy.
L: Did you find something you love?
T: Maybe you will see in two days.
L: You still want it after all my drama?
T: Yes. But I have to change one thing, it can't wait anymore. Wait a minute.
L: Tim what are you saying ? Tim ?

He disappeared into their bedroom and came back one minute later with a purple velvet box. It wasn't planned this way, but Tim was standing in front of her. He wiped tears from her face and took a deep breath. "Marry me," he asked while looking right into her eyes. Her heart missed a beat, and her lungs missed a breath. She nodded several times before she kissed him. He put the ring on her finger, and when she looked at it, she felt like an idiot. But an idiot deeply in love with another idiot.

" And high up above, or down below. When you're too in love to let it go but if you never try, you'll never know just what you're worth?  "

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
15.07.2024. I'm back. I'm unstoppable when you gave me idea lol. Thanks to Therookieisthebest1 for the idea. I hope you will like it guys!

I'm on holiday this week, maybe i will more active, I've got plenty of time to write. Thank you again for your comment and vote. It's a real pleasure. You can't even imagine. 

Comment and vote again, it helps. Take care of you ! See you tomorrow maybe... Who knows...

Oh and I'm a bit curious, how old are you guys ??