Chemistry.

It was obvious to everyone, except for the two of them. The chemistry between them was stronger than in a chemistry lab. None of them crossed the line; however, they were signs. The looks they gave to each other, overprotective's Tim, always sat next to each other, with no space between them. It was a matter of time when you heard their friends talk about it.

They both dated someone for months. It was just an easy relationship. It was funny to see them together because every time Lucy's boyfriend was next to her, you could see jalousy in Tim's eyes, and every time Tim's girlfriend called him, you could see annoyance on Lucy's face. They both ended their relationship before they could celebrate the one-year thing.

One day, Angela tried to talk to Tim about the obviousness between the two of them. He seemed to not understand the implicit words Angela used, so she decided to be straight with him: "Timothy, do you have feelings for Lucy?"". He looked at her, confused and surprised. Why the hell did she ask this? He rolled his eyes. "No". Even if she wanted to have the last word, she saw something change in his eyes.

He couldn't stop thinking of his discussion with Angela. Her question and his answer. What if his "no" wasn't the answer he wanted to give? Lucy was her friend. Was she really? Use your brain, Bradford. Was she just a friend to you? When you think of a friend, do you have butterflies dancing in your stomach? How much did you want to hug a friend? Did you think of Angela that way? Of course not. Maybe Angela made you realize something, Tim. And when he laid down on his bed that night, he couldn't stop thinking. Did he have feelings for Lucy? Was she more than a friend? Something changed. The butterflies never left him since earlier.

That night, Lucy had a dream that matched perfectly with Tim's questions. She was smiling throughout her dream. When she woke up, she sat down and thought for a minute, "What was that?". She believed dreams tried to resolve things you couldn't do by yourself. Why did she dream about Tim kissing her? Why did she wake up with a smile stuck on her face? Why were butterflies taking her body for their new house? She never thought about Tim this way. But, maybe, it explained the way she felt every time she saw him with his ex. Like someone stamped on her heart. No. She had to erase everything from her brain. He was her friend, nothing more. Was he really?

When Tim woke up, butterflies were still dancing samba in his stomach while Lucy was in his mind. "You are fucked up, Bradford," he thought. Yes, he was. When he gets out of his truck at the station, Lucy gets out of her car too. They both looked at each other. They had enough power to illuminate all the streets in Los Angeles. They both smiled at each other. What was that?

T: Morning.
L: Morning.

He opened the door and let her in. After Grey gave everyone their tasks, Lucy went to grab war bags and headed to the shop. Tim was waiting for her. Something changed in their dynamic. The morning ride was quiet at first, but then they talked as usual. They were both under pressure.

They spent two weeks in that state. It felt good and frustrating at the same time. None of them wanted to make the first step. And yet, it was crystal clear in their minds. He had feelings for her, and she had feelings for him. They were too blind to see the signals they sent to each other. Maybe they are too afraid to lose something they have built over the years.

It was lunchtime when Angela joined Tim in front of the food truck. She looked at him with her "Lopez look.". She was waiting for something. Once again, he rolled his eyes.

A: Do it.
T: What?
A: The first step, idiot.

Maybe she was right. Maybe. Was he ready to maybe lose something? Was he ready to maybe win something better? No. For sure, he was not. At the end of the shift, he sent her a text. "Meet me at the park in 20 ".

When she had his text, it was a mix of happiness and stress. Why did he want to meet her at the park in 20 minutes? He spent the day with her. She answered. She was not ready.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

He was sitting on that bench where they used to sit when they had lunch. When he spotted her, anxiety took all of his body; butterflies were still flying. He wiped his hands on his lap before she stood in front of him. He stood up and gave her a hug. They sat next to each other, a bit quiet at first, and she took a deep breath.

L: Something is wrong?
T: No, I need to talk to you.
L: Oh, go on then...
T: Well, Lucy, something changed between us. Apparently everyone was aware of it except us, until I've had a conversation with, nevermind.... But since then, I can't stop thinking of you, Lucy. During the past two weeks, it has been hard to focus on our friendship. And maybe this conversation will change everything—not in the way I hope, but I have feelings for you. And if I have to judge how my heart is beating right now, I've got strong ones.

She heard every single world he told her. Her heart missed a beat when he said, "I have feelings for you.". Maybe she needed to hear to make hers possible. That her dream was not just a dream, that the annoyance she had when he was with his ex was not because she didn't appreciate the girl, but because the girl in question was with him. She couldn't stop smiling. Heat took her all of her body. She couldn't stop playing with her ring. She was on another planet right now. How was it possible? She never felt this way with Chris. What did you do to her, Tim?

T: Lucy?

She wanted to scream; she felt the same. She was just unable to find words. Sometimes actions were as good as words. She took his hand and put it on her heart. She was conscious it was an intimate act; well, his heart was next to her breast.

L: It will give a better answer than me.. Can you feel it?
T: Hm hm.

He smiled. He understood. She didn't have to speak; he knew. He gave her a kiss on her temple before he underlocked his fingers with hers. She laid her head on his shoulder. It felt right. Being so close to him and to her. They talked for hours. She finally found a way to tell him she was in love with him. It was so clumsy, like two teenagers. It was midnight when they finally got out of the park to join their cars. He hugged her and said goodnight.

L: Tim, wait.

She was so close to him, she could feel his breath. They looked at each other before she made the first step this time. Her hand softly touched his cheek, and her lips met his. Butterflies were thrilled. Tim deepened their kiss and put one hand on her lower back to bring her closer. They ended their kiss with a smile stuck on their faces. She went back to her car, and he did the same. A last gaze. You did right, Tim.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
09/06/2024: Guys, i was not supposed to write this before tomorrow, but guess what, i couldn't wait. I really hope you will like it. I've got a box of ideas in my head, so maybe i will be able to write something tomorrow ? Take care of you. And please vote and comment. It helps :)

I still cannot believe people like my stories...