I hate him.

You are here, at the same table as me, talking to the new detective who joined the station a month ago. You've got that smile on your face-the same one you had with me before. Your body language speaks for you; you like her. You broke up with me six months ago, and tonight you... This is it, Tim? You left me, and you found someone else while I'm trying to understand the reasons you gave me. "You are staring.".

Angela is right. I'm staring. And right now, I honestly don't care. How could you act like this in front of me? "Do you want to leave?"". Do I really want to watch you flirt with someone else? No. Do I want to suffer more? No. Angela is already up; her eyes speak for her. Thirty seconds later, we are outside. Thirty-one seconds later, I can't control it anymore. This is too much for me to handle. I'm sick and tired of crying. "I hate him." "No you don't, and you know it."

Right, but tonight, I hate him. I need to be alone. I need to go home. I don't want to go back there anymore. I don't want to deal with him anymore. " He's asking why we left. "Tell him the lie you want, Ang; I'm going home. Sorry ". Thirty minutes later, I'm lying on my own bed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Who is knocking on her door at 3 a.m.? She crossed her living room and opened the door. She was not expecting to see him there. She slammed the door immediately. She was not in the mood. "I still have a spare key; come on, open the door, Lucy.". And she did.

L: What do you want?
T: Can we talk?
L: Of course, come on, Tim, I have nothing else to do at fuckin 3 a.m.

She let him in, and he closed the door behind him. Her body language was not welcoming.

L: You wanted to talk? I'm listening.
T: Why did you leave?
L: Because I wanted to, you did the same, remember?

Well, "I deserved it," he thought. They stayed like this, staring at each other with no words.

L: You like her, don't you?
T: Who?
L: That pretty new detective
T: Sorry, what?
L: Tim, you were literally flirting with her under my nose.
T: What... Lucy, you're...
L: What? I'm wrong. Tim. Be honest. How could you? Six months after? I was sitting in front of you. You had this smile stuck on your face, the same you had for me before. She was laughing at every word you said. How could you, Tim?
T: You're with...
L: Don't...
T: Lucy, shut up, please; let me speak for god's sake!

She stopped and nodded.

T: I don't like her the way you think. And if you had stayed a little more with us, you would have met her wife. She was laughing because she was happy to be there with us. Before you arrived, she explained why she asked for another station. She was happy to be accepted the way she is. And yes, I was fucking smiling because I was talking about you. Yes, I was wrong that night. I made the biggest mistake in years. I was honest that day in the elevator. I'm not a liar when it comes to you, Lucy. So yes, I'm still going to therapy; I respect your boundaries, and I'm trying. And I could totally understand the way you felt tonight, but next time, Lucy, before overthinking things, talk. Come and talk to me, or send me a text.
L: You were talking about me?
T: Yes.
L: Why?
T: Because I'm still in love with you and because she has eyes, and she asked. She asked why we seem to be something and, at the same time, nothing. So yes, you were the reason I was smiling. And to be honest with you, when you left, I was confused. I wanted to wait until tomorrow to talk to you, but she convinced me with Angela to come now. "Stop being an idiot; go, talk, fight, and kiss her before losing her," was exactly what she said.

And then, after feeling like she was an idiot, she smiled.

T: Lucy?
L: "Go, fight, talk," checked. You're missing something.
T: Am I?

Five seconds later, his lips were on her. A simple kiss. A kiss that made them smile. He brought her closer to him and hugged her. Her hands on his chest, his on her back.

T: Jealousy suits you...
L: Oh, shut up.
T: Just saying.
L: I know you are trying, you know? Therapy and everything. I'm proud of you. Really. I'm so sorry for tonight. I don't know why I had this reaction. I mean, I know why, but I'm sorry.
T: Tell me why?
L: I still love you, but I'm still hurt. It made me blind, and .. well you saw by yourself.
T: I know we still need to have a real conversation, but give me another chance, Lucy. I need you.
L: Pancakes...
T: What?
L: Make me pancakes for breakfast.
T: Oh, ok. Be there at 6:30 a.m.
L: No, you're staying. Don't get me wrong; we will have that conversation, but for now, I need you here. And you obviously need to go to sleep. I don't want to be the reason you fall asleep at work just because you came for pancakes at 6:30 a.m.
T: Pretty good reason

Two and a half hours later, Tim opened his eyes. Lucy was sleeping against him. He smiled. He kept his promise to cook her pancakes for breakfast. Even if they need to discuss it, it was clearly the beginning of a new chapter of their lives.

" Lookin' backwards, Might be the only way to move forward. Then the actors were hitting their marks and the slow dance was alight with the sparks. And the tears fell in synchronicity with the score and at last she knew what the agony had been for. " (*)

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
23/06/24: Hello everyone! Hope you're good. New story just for you. I hope you will like it, it's a short one. Please comment and vote, it helps a lot :)

(*) From The Manuscript by Taylor Swift.

Oh, and if you have idea and you want me to write it, please let me know! Let a comment! I will have more time to write soon, so why not :)