66 - Little disciple

As soon as Taehyung stepped in, his keen nose picked up the distinct scent of incense in the air. It was sandalwood, medium to high quality for sure. Though the temple looked tiny from outside, it was actually quite spacious and cozy inside. A towering tree was planted in the yard, its leaves green and lush as they rustled gently against the breeze, providing enough protection from the glaring sun. Most likely, it had been there before the house changed owners.

After the group of five tall officers strolled in, the yard became cramped in a blink of an eye.

As it turned out, Taehyung was not the only person who was curious about the youth. After all, his delicate appearance did not suit this small temple at all. Taehyung perked his ears up to eavesdrop as he surreptitiously scanned his surroundings.

"What is your name?"

"Korean name, Park Haru."

"Your master is not in?"

"Hm, he said that he won't be returning soon. Do you want to put your number directly or do you want to light an incense first?"

The officers looked at each other with an awkward look. Wasn't this just a more subtle way of telling them to scram as soon as possible if they no longer had any business here?

The young man in front of them was too peculiar. His exquisite appearance notwithstanding, he also had a cold and taciturn temperament, and he exuded an unapproachable aura that kept strangers miles away. Somehow, he really reminded them of a certain colleague that was also surnamed 'Park'.

Why are all the Parks cold beauties?

Alas, when all was said and done, this group of men had gotten used to interrogating criminals. Their conversational skill and shamelessness had been honed through years and became top-notch, second to none. As such, they thickened their skin and continued to badger the youth with more questions.

"How long have you been staying with Master Li?"

"How old are you? You look no more than twenty. . . "

"Where is your family? They don't mind that you're staying here all day long?"

Haru's answer was curt and concise. "Not very long." "Eighteen." "I am an orphan."

Taehyung cleared his throat to remind the men not to take things too far. These men. . . though he knew that they did not mean it, their tone really sounded interrogative. He did not wish to arouse suspicion when they still lacked a lot of information regarding their target.

Receiving the signal, the officers showed a sheepish look and stopped their barrage of questions. "Ah, sorry, sorry. It's our fault to make you uncomfortable. Don't be offended, okay? Just take it as us being a blabbermouth hehe. . . "

Finally, Taehyung tore his gaze off the path leading toward the back of the temple and turned to little discipal with a warm smile, "It's such a pity that we can't meet Master Li today. But we can still go in and pray, right?"

Haru stared at him for one long moment, his expression incomprehensible. Then without a word, he turned away and gestured for the others to follow him.

Taehyung finally saw what lay behind the closed door. It was a giant golden statue of Buddha sitting cross-legged on top of a giant lotus, its height almost reaching the ceiling. A round copper censer was placed in the middle of the table with a few burning incense sticks in it, and that's where the pervading scent of sandalwood came from.

Taehyung seldom went to temples nor was he a very religious person, but he still could not help clasping his hands together and bowing to the statue of Buddha in a solemn manner. Behind him, the four men followed suit.