15 - Riot

Jungkook blinked in surprise. "He's not?"

"Mn." Jimin pursed his lips. "On the night of the accident, Deng Shi is captured by the surveillance camera in a gambling house near District 15. There are also a lot of eyewitnesses. His alibi is solid."

Totally unlike me, Jungkook thought wryly. Not only was he unable to prove that he had never stepped out of his house throughout the night, the CCTVs on the hallway had broken down as well. Jungkook could not help but heave a helpless sigh.

They had painstakingly dug out Miss Yunji's life record up to twenty two years ago and found something worth chasing after. Yet in the end, the chain of clues broke off on Deng Shi just like that. No wonder Jimin's complexion did not look so good.

Jungkook saw the increasingly dark shadows beneath his eyes and felt distressed. Unable to help it, he reached out to ruffle Jimin's soft hair, his voice became gentler as if coaxing an angry chick. "It's okay. Don't push yourself too hard. We will definitely be able to find Miss Zhao."

"...Mn." Jimin quietly tilted his head and let his head be rubbed back and forth, his thick lashes quivering like dark butterfly wings. Rather than enduring Jungkook's sneaky behavior, that demeanor of his gave off an impression of asking more instead. 

Jungkook felt like he was going to die sooner or later from how adorable this person was. How could someone be so cute?! This was utterly illegal! He breathed out through his mouth whilst his fingers trailed down to pinch the omega's reddish earlobes.

Jimin raised his eyelids to glance at him. His black-blue eyes glowed with a soft, amorous light. However, before he could open his mouth to say anything, a series of furious honks resounded behind them. The traffic light had turned green from God-knows-when and a huge empty gap had already formed in front of them.

Jungkook cleared his throat and retracted his itchy paw. "Pay attention... to the road."

This time, Jimin held onto the steering wheel with both hands just like the textbook example of a law-abiding driver.

Putting aside how illegally adorable the man beside him was, Jungkook could not help but wonder. Just where was Miss Zhao right now?

Judging from the amount of blood on the hallway, he did not hold the expectation that Miss Zhao was still alive. If he did not remember wrongly, Captain Kim told him that they had reviewed the surveillance footage on the fourth floor and did not discover anyone going down. It meant that the perpetrator had either carried Miss Zhao away through the window or... her body was still somewhere in the apartment. Right, that's the initial analysis.

But to make sure, Jungkook still took out his notebook and flipped through it. Yesterday, he had taken the time to jot down each detail about the case he had heard for fear that he would forget something.

Amidst the rumble of the car engine and soft breathing of two people, only the sound of Jungkook flipping through pages could be heard.

Jungkook tapped his fingers on his knees and put on an apologetic grimace as he told Jimin, "I suddenly recalled that I have left something in my house. Can you drop me off there first?" He had a feeling that he had overlooked something important but... as for what it was, he needed to return there to know.

Jimin shot him a skeptical glance. Well, that excuse was really lousy.

If he was Jimin, he would certainly not believe it too. Jungkook restrained the urge to palm his forehead and hide from the omega's intrusive gaze. Instead, he showed a gaze full of sincerity and expectation, hoping that Jimin would buy his lie.

"Please," Jungkook added. "Just five minutes. You can follow me in."

"... Fine," Jimin finally relented with great reluctance. "This is the last time."