Chapter 42: Whiskey Peak

Noir raised an eyebrow and asked, "That's me. Who are you?"

The man on the ship smiled even wider and said, "We are bounty hunters from Baroque Works. We would like to invite you to Whiskey Peak."

"Baroque Works?" Noir asked, confused.

Isn't that Crocodile's organization? I haven't even gone looking for him and he's already coming to me?

"But I don't know you," Noir said.

The man smiled and replied, "You are the strongest bounty hunter from the East Blue; it's only fitting that we receive you.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Mr. 9. In our organization, we go by code names."

Noir looked at him thoughtfully. Is this guy Mr. 9 from the original story?

He remembered Mr. 9 as someone with numbers on his face and as Princess Vivi's partner...

Could it be that this guy was later fired by Crocodile?

Noir didn't care about the inner workings of their organization. Since there was a ready guide, he didn't have to bother.

"All right then, lead the way," Noir said.

"Sure thing!" Mr. 9 replied enthusiastically, then turned his head, his shabby face showing a sinister smile.

Earlier, the boss had suddenly informed him to welcome a newcomer.

The key point was that the boss said that this newcomer was much stronger than him, and that he should take over Mr. 10's position.

Why?!

Mr. 9's face twisted with jealousy.

He wanted to eliminate the person who was blocking his path to promotion!

Although Mr. 9's emotional fluctuation was well hidden, Noir still felt it clearly.

Noir chuckled softly, not taking it to heart.

Wearing an eye mask, Noir lay comfortably on the deck.

These weaklings always think they are Garp, capable of Punching mountains.

But how really powerful was Garp??

Under the malicious guidance of Mr. 9, Noir found his way to Whiskey Peak.

Whiskey Peak, known as "the town that welcomes pirates.

In reality, it's mostly a gathering place for bounty hunters.

They target novice pirates on their way to the Grand Line and gather here to collect large bounties.

Many inexperienced young pirates have met their end here, falling prey to the bounty hunters.

This place also served as a branch of the secret criminal organization Baroque Works.

Crocodile territory, in other words.

Noir was brought to the island, marveled at the cactus-shaped peaks, and uttered an exclamation of wonder.

The world is full of wonders, and here is a mountain shaped like this.

However, the "cactus needles" on it were all tombstones, quite an eyesore...

Mr. 9 invited enthusiastically, "This way, Mr. Noir, we've prepared a feast for you.

"Sounds good, lead the way," Noir replied cheerfully.

Mr. 9 led Noir to a small town where a table of food and drink was already set up in one of the rooms.

"Wow!" Noir's eyes lit up and he rushed forward to start eating.

He picked up a large piece of meat and took a big bite.

Hmm... terrible.

Noir frowned, prompting Mr. 9 to quickly ask, "What's wrong, Mr. Noir?"

Noir shrugged nonchalantly, "The taste is a little off, but I can handle it. Do you have any wine?"

Mr. 9's eyes lit up and he said hastily, "Yes, we do. I'll bring it right away."

Mr. 9 left the room and returned with a bottle of wine handed to him by one of his men.

The subordinate chuckled and pointed to the bottle, "It's spiked. He'll be out for a day!"

Mr. 9 nodded and said maliciously, "This will be his last meal!"

After delivering the wine and watching Noir drink it, Mr. 9 felt comfortable and left the room.

After a while, Mr. 9 heard no sound from the room.

He gently pushed open the door and entered.

To his surprise, Noir was sprawled out on the table, snoring loudly.

Mr. 9 shook Noir a few times and called softly, "Mr. Noir? Mr. Noir?"

No response. Mr. 9's face showed a triumphant smile.

"Is there anyone in this sea who can't be knocked out by drugs?" Mr. 9 laughed confidently.

In his worldview, no matter how strong someone is, they can't withstand underhanded tactics.

"Why does the boss want to promote you over me? Just because you have some brute strength?"

Mr. 9 snapped at the "sleeping" Noir, "The boss is a fool to think that a rookie like you is better than me.

"Once I kill you and dump your body in the sea, you'll be nothing but a failure who never reached the Grand Line in the boss's eyes!"

Mr. 9 drew a short knife from his waist, laughed wickedly, and moved towards Noir on the table...

Hmm? Where did he go?!

In the time Mr. 9 spent ranting, the person on the table had disappeared.

Suddenly, Mr. 9 felt his hand lighten, and the short knife was snatched away.

"So you wanted to recruit me, huh..."

A ghostly voice came from behind, sending a shiver down Mr. 9's spine. He turned quickly.

Noir, who should have been knocked out, was sitting behind him, looking at him with a mocking look, holding the short knife he had just taken.

Mr. 9 forced a smile and quickly explained, "Mr. Noir, let me explain..."

Before he could finish, he pulled a handful of white powder from behind his back.

But before he could throw it, Noir grabbed his wrist.

The momentum sent the white powder flying back into Mr. 9's face!

Mr. 9 fell to the ground with a thud, his eyelids growing heavy as he mumbled something unintelligible.

Before he could say anything else, he closed his eyes and his snoring filled the room.

"That effective?" Noir looked at the fallen Mr. 9 in surprise.

Slightly squeezing the short knife in his hand, Noir stretched, pushed the door open and stepped out.

Creak.

The wooden door opened quietly in the still night as Noir stepped out.

More sounds of guns being cocked reached his ears. Noir looked up to see a crowd with no end in sight, all pointing guns at him with hostile expressions.

Noir looked at these bounty hunters, sighed, and said, "A bunch of small fry trying to make their presence known again..."

"But this time I'm not in the mood to play with you."

Noir's smile faded, his pupils narrowed slightly, and a powerful shockwave rippled through the air.

Conqueror's Haki activated!

----------------------------

16 ( Soon 20 ) Advanced Chapters on Patreon

https://www.p4treon.com/dragonnx

[Replace '4' with 'a' to access Patreon Normally]