𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟓

_"This is just like a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit. There's no clear directives in here about crisis management."-Five was complaining while he read the Commission's master handbook. I tried to read it with him while we walked at first, but as soon as I tried I realized it required more knowledge about time traveling and paradoxes than I had, so I gave up. I could only tell he was extremely frustrated at the book's lack of useful information.

_"Didn't you say this paradox never happened before? Like, it was all theoretical? It makes sense that the Commission couldn't really think of ways to solve it. Or what even would happen..."-I told him, trying to make him relax a bit. It didn't seem possible but I wanted to try anyway. It seemed like all the weird calmness he was feeling earlier now was gone since he saw that video. I spoke too soon. I don't know why I wasn't freaking out too, honestly.

_"...You know, I shouldn't even be here. I was...I was out. I was done, and yet here I am, swept back into the chaos."-He sounded wrathful and tired. I understood it. He seemed so happy to finally relax before, even agreeing to go on a field trip with Klaus...

_"Why can't I just escape this hellhole?"-He itched the nape of his head. 

_"Because you love it."-Lila answered, seeming bored of hearing him complaining about what was happening the entire time.

We reached the last floor of the building. The ceiling there was completely shattered, and the snow was falling on the ground. I clutched Five's blazer, wrapping it better around me. I was wearing the worst outfit for that weather and my limbs were definitely dealing with the consequences.

Suddenly, a funny noise echoed in the room. Both Lila and I stopped to look at Five, who also stopped walking. He turned to us, his hands raised in a surrender motion.

_"My bad."-He simply said, and continued walking. But that was weird to me. Not weird in the gross way, although that was also a fact, but weird in a "I'm getting deja vu" way.

_"Face it, Five, apocalypse problems are the only things that get your heart pumping."-Lila said, deciding to ignore the last event.

_"I don't know why people keep saying that. I don't actually like chaos. I don't want disorder. I want...I want retirement."-Honestly, I didn't get it either. Every single time there was too much chaos, Five was upset and stressed. He clearly appreciated moments of peace and quiet, so I don't know why Lila and our family were pulling that information out of their asses.

_"Yeah, right. What? A normal life of groceries and taxes? You would die of boredom."

_"I think those are two extremes of the spectrum. Being a 'househusband' would be boring, sure, but I don't think having to carry the weight of the world's existence on your shoulders is nice either. Something around the middle would be closer to ideal."-I explained how I saw the subject, while balancing myself on top of broken bricks, playing a game of "the floor is lava" silently. I felt someone's gaze on me.

_"That's exactly what I think, thank you. At least one of you has a functioning brain."-Five agreed and retorted.

_"I just imagined Five as a husband and father. Hah. Terrifying."-Lila laughed with a vision only she had.

_"Yeah, well, you're not exactly cut-out for domestic bliss either."-Five responded, sarcastically, and walked through a door he had just opened. I went behind him, and as I passed by Lila, I could swear I saw a bit of pain in her expression. Did she want a family one day?

_"...'Course I'm bloody not. Thank God!"-I heard her speaking behind us. Didn't sound genuine at all, almost like she felt embarrassed by his statement.

_"Having a family of your own can't be that bad, though. We just don't know anyone who was a good example of that."-I thought about Allison. She was happy at some point, right?