𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟔

Five, me and Lila jumped through the blue portal that they had created by uniting their powers again, and landed back into the hotel's timeline, not nicely at all. We all hit the ground pretty hard, me landing on top of Five and Lila landing on top of my leg. I also think we broke something on our way down, but I couldn't even tell what it was anymore.

I used my hands to support and lift myself from the ground, meeting Five, who was still groaning below me.

_"Hi."-I greeted him, mostly jokingly.

_"Hi. Please, get up. I think I've punctured a lung."-I rolled to the side, getting up and offering him a hand. Lila had gotten up before the two of us and was fixing her jacket.

I finally managed to look around, and found out that my family, except for Klaus, was gathered around us, probably watching for the entire time. I pressed my lips into a line, feeling suddenly embarrassed with all the attention.

_"Where have you been?"-Viktor was the first to speak, looking at us with a worried expression.

_"Facing my mortality, Viktor. I don't recommend it."-Five didn't actually answer the question, but everyone decided not to ask anymore.

_"You had the briefcase? We've been looking for this!"-Allison pointed at the briefcase we had brought back with us. When I looked at it too, I got startled. The briefcase that was in almost pristine condition just a second ago now was completely destroyed. Did we fall on top of it or did something else happen? I genuinely hadn't paid attention.

_"Well, look no further. That's the last one on Earth. Or was the last one."-Five added the last part after he realized it himself that the briefcase was gone. There went our plan.

Allison, with a huff, distanced herself from us and sat by the stairs. Just then, I noticed her hair was cut shorter and she had small cuts on her face. Actually, Diego and Viktor also had those.

_"What happened while we were gone?"-I asked, looking around for someone who was willing to answer. I heard Viktor letting out a sigh.

_"It's complicated."

_"I'm gonna assume with that answer that no one wants to talk about it. Okay."-I looked around again. The hotel seemed way too silent. Eerily silent.

_"Did people start disappearing too, now?"

_"For a while, actually."-Luther answered me this time. I bit my nails, feeling nervous now. I was hoping Five had some other plan to solve things, 'cause I couldn't think about anything that would work with my little knowledge about world-ending matters.

I decided to stop for a bit, and try to think by myself, while the others whispered and talked to each other. So, we had no briefcases working, the Commision was gone, Five's power wasn't enough to make us land safely in another timeline, powering up with Lila would be too messy and uncertain as well. Would trying to talk to Reginald again help in any way? Maybe the Sparrows could help? We didn't have full knowledge of their powers, maybe something would be useful.

_"What about the Sparrows? Did they end up attacking?"-I asked again, looking frantically at my siblings.

_"...Half of them are dead."-Viktor answered again, and my eyebrows furrowed.

_"Huh?"

_"It was Harlan"

_"Huh?!"

_"Hey, Chatty Cathys, quit the chitchat, all right? I'm calling a family meeting here."-Five interrupted, and I was left without an explanation once again. I bit my nails harder, accidentally breaking skin.