Kisses and Goodbyes

After we got to school, James walked me through the school, all the while holding my hand. Today he had on faded red pants with a button down shirt. It was preppy and cute. I realized that James was more dressed up than the other kids at school; kind of like an athlete on game day. He carried my bag for me and walked me to my locker. The girls who were usually there first thing in the morning were standing in a tight circle, chatting with each other. Because I had left school early yesterday, I wasn't able to get my bag organized for the next day.

"Excuse me," James said politely to the girl who was leaning against my locker. She looked up at him and flushed before stepping aside. I quickly entered my combination and switched out my books for what I needed. I had specials this morning, art and gym. Having gym in the morning was worse than having it in the afternoon, even though Mrs. Jocelin tried to keep us from getting too sweaty.

"Hi," I heard a soft voice say, and looked over to see one of the girls from the gaggle staring at James. I recognized her from some of my classes. Her name was Melanie and she was smart. And nice. She didn't laugh just because other girls did. She was very pretty, with blonde hair that was lighter than mine and very shiny. She had clear skin and her eyes were wide and blue. She had a bright friendly face and an easy smile. She wore a short green skirt and a cute sweater with birds on it. When she stood next to James, she looked like she belonged there. I looked down at my borrowed clothes, a pair of jeans and a purple cardigan. It was the nicest thing I'd ever worn, but looking at Melanie's easy style and confidence, I felt like I was playing dress-up, wearing a "nice clothes" costume.

"Hi," James answered.

Melanie looked over at me. "Hi Lyric," she said.

"Hello," I answered, my finger moving to my lip.

I finished zipping my bag and made a move to leave, thinking that perhaps James would want to talk to Melanie alone, but he took my hand as I turned. Melanie glanced down at our joined hands then to me, her eyes wide and surprised. James' eyebrows drew together, and I got the feeling that her surprise bothered him. He suddenly took his phone out of his pocket, reading a text message and looked at me. 

"I've got to go," he said. "I'll walk you to art."

He pulled on my hand without saying anything else to Melanie, ghosting through the halls until we reached the Fine Arts wing. I pointed to my art class and he nodded. "I'm sorry I have to run off," he said.

"It's okay," I answered, biting my lip, "Will I see you later?" 

He bent his knees to look into my eyes. "Yes," he said, "I'm not sure what time, but I'll see you at home for sure."

"At home?" I asked, and then realized what he was saying.

 "At home," I said on a sigh.

The smile that James gave me filled me with light. I needed him to hold me to earth because I was ready to float away. He squeezed my hand and smiled back at me, looking around the hall before bending closer and touching his lips to my cheek so softly I could have imagined it. He stood back and stared at me for a minute. I heard his phone vibrate and he took it out of his pocket without looking away from my eyes.

"I've gotta go," he said.

I lifted my finger to my lips, but he stopped me, bringing it to his mouth and keeping his eyes on mine before kissed the tip.

"See you at home," I whispered.

He nodded and turned around walking away quickly, then turned around again, walking backwards through the hall and smiling at me. He turned around again, and just before he turned the corner, turned back one more time. I gave him a wave and sighed. I almost couldn't believe it; things were good.