That's Not the Way Our Family Works

(A/N- Thank you so much for reading. Please comment and vote!) 

Taylor's Point of View

James stood with his hands in his pockets, watching me on my fifth set of burpees. I ignored him, jumping to my feet and grabbing a towel to wipe my face before I took a long swallow of the water waiting for me.

He didn't say anything, he just continued to stare at me.

I moved over to the kettle bells, choosing a set that was heavier than the ones I had yesterday.

"I lied to her, you know," James finally ground out angrily.

I could tell he was pissed he had to speak first; that was fine with me. I kept lifting.

"I told her I had Academy work," he continued.

I grunted, my muscles burning and tearing.

"Then," he pulled his phone out of his pocket and made a show of looking at it. "Kell sends me this. And I want to smash your fucking head in with one of those goddamn kettle bells."

There was a hitch in my lifting.

"'Is Taylor mad at me?'" James reads. 

My eyes closed and I dropped the bell, sitting down on the bench. I dropped my head and propped my elbows on my knees.

James continued speaking. "'Is he avoiding me?' What the hell are you doing, Tay? She's trying to get better. She's working so hard, and you're leaving her." 
I flipped my sweaty hair out of my face and stood up. I couldn't listen to him anymore.

"It's not her fault. I'm not mad at her. I'm not avoiding her."

"So tell her that!" James fumed.

I shook my head, I was done talking. I was going to act now. I was going to be stronger and I was going to find Garret. That was my goal. That was how I showed Lyric I would protect her, that I loved her. All the words in the world meant nothing because I'd failed her when it mattered most.

"I'll make it up to her," I ground out, lifting the bell again.

I felt the bell get ripped out of my hands and then James was spinning me around to face him. His strength surprised me. James' leanness was misleading, underneath that angel face he was a tough motherfucker.

"You'll do it now!" he commanded. "We're looking for him, and we'll find him. But can you please," his voice changed, pleading, "talk to her. Don't let her feel like she's to blame, that she's done anything wrong."

I put my hands on my hips as I caught my breath.

I nodded. "I will." I sighed. "Of course I will."

"Today's a big day for her," James said, "for all of us, really. Kell is dropping her off and Grace is bringing her home. She'll be alone for a little while. It's the first time..."

I felt panic rising in my chest. I hadn't known.

"Is that really necessary?" I asked. "It's a little soon."

"She's ready," James answered quickly. "If you went to the sessions with Grace you'd know that."

I didn't deserve to feel better.

"I know where your head is," James interjected. "You want to finish your mission before you take care of yourself. But you'll never take care of Garret if you're head isn't on straight. Our mission right now is Lyric. You need to put Garret on the backburner."

I shook my head. "Can't do that." 

James got in my face again. "You need to do that," he commanded. "If you need me to make it an order, I will. That' s never how our team has worked Taylor. We take care of each other and we take care of ourselves. You're not taking care of yourself, and by extension, you're not taking care of Lyric."

I actually felt the knife enter my chest, scrape against my ribs and pierce my heart.

"She's at Grace's," James said. "Go. Please."

I stood like a statue, my shoulders rising and falling with each heavy breath.

"She won't be alone if she's with you," he added, knowing I wouldn't be able to resist having my eyes on her when the alternative was that she was alone.

"Fine," I acknowledged moodily."Fuck."

James gripped my shoulders, ignoring how sweaty I was and pulled me toward him for a one-armed back-thumping man-hug.

"Thank you," he whispered.

I let myself hug him back. "Naw," I replied. "Thank you."