A break

Tully's pov

"I'm the stupidest man who ever walked the earth." He says on his knees in my front yard. By now the little trouble starter has snuck away. "I can't believe I let that happen!" "You didn't let anything happen. She tricked you when your guard was down." I say, patting his back.

Miranda's pov

We stop at a red light, me sobbing and I get out of the car and just run and I don't stop running until I can't breathe. My friends are probably calling me but I don't care. I ran all the way to that alleyway. My hand gripped tightly around my pocketknife. "How could he do this to me?" I whimper, sitting on the ground and crying into my knees. A door opens and a guy throws a bag of garbage into the can. "Whoa, ma'am what's wrong?" He gasps. "Nothing please just leave me be." I whimper, shutting my eyes tight. I feel his hands on my shoulders and I don't have the strength to fight. He sits down, pulls me into his lap where I sob uncontrollably.

*the next day*

"Thanks for helping me Tim." I say, wiping my eyes. He nods. "Of course, I'm not gonna leave you in an alleyway. Now what happened?" "My stupid husband cheated on me. I'll give him the fact that he was drunk but still it hurt really bad." He hugs me. "That's horrible. You're a great girl. No one should ever treat you like that." He says. "You wouldn't treat me like that?" "Of course not." I smile. He kisses my forehead. "Let's grab a bite to eat." He says. I smile for the first time since it all happened and nod.

Jason's pov

I'm so confused. She said she was taking Jenny. But she didn't. "Where's mama?" She asks, when I get home with Tully tailing me. Just hearing my little girl ask that and me not having an answer makes me burst into tears. I run into our bedroom and slam the door, crying uncontrollably.

*several months later*

I don't think she's coming back. My fears are confirmed when a truck pulls up and she gets out holding the hand of some guy. When she said time was all she needed, I stepped back and let her have her space. But I knew just what she wanted when she came walking up to me with him. I fight back the tears and open the door. "Jason, this is Tim." She says. Tears stains on her cheeks. I know exactly what this is. "I'm happy for you." I lie, walking out and closing the door. Her leaving didn't hurt near as badly as the tears I saw rolling down her face. "Baby girl, I'm so sorry. I-I hope you're happy with him." I turn to go back inside but she makes no move to leave. Oh she's probably here to take Jenny. "Jason, you didn't even listen." She says, surprising me. I turn back around. "It's been months. I figured this was your new boyfriend." I say. She shakes her head. "No he's not. You don't have a girlfriend do you?" "Of course not. I just thought-" She kisses me. "Tim convinced me to give you another chance." I'm so shocked. I never expected this. My arms wrap around her instantly and I deepen the kiss. "I thought I lost you forever baby girl." I fight back the tears. She grabs me really hard. "Just don't ever do it again or I'll cut it off next time, got it?" She growls. "Loud and clear." I choke out. She waves to her friend and we go inside. Jenny is just coming downstairs. "Mommy!" She gasps, running over. "Hey honey, sorry I've been gone so long." She says, picking her up and hugging her. "We still a family?" I ask. She nods. "And we still got each other." She says, kissing me again.

*later that day*

She puts Jenny to bed and kisses her forehead. I'm waiting in the hall. "Were you romantic with that other guy?" "No." "I'm still sorry." "I know." She goes to our bedroom. I follow. "Are you still mad at me?" "No." Something tells me she is. "Why do I get the feeling you are then?" "I don't know Jason. Maybe you're guilty." "Yes I know I'm guilty. I've felt like shit about it the past 4 months. I won't ever be able to take back what I did but I certainly want the chance to make it right, to earn your forgiveness." "And you will Jason. Don't worry. I'm not leaving again." She waves me over. Why do I feel like she's trying to trick me? She grabs my shirt and kisses me, sitting on the edge of the bed. I sit down beside her. "I'm gonna love you like there's no tomorrow." I whisper, pushing her back.

*later*

"Does that prove to you that I'm not still mad?" She asks. "Yeah baby. I'm glad you're home." I kiss her head. She sets her hand on my leg, moving it up very slowly. I sit up quickly, kissing her hard, my hands pinning her arms to the bed. "Thanks for coming back." "Like I could stay away." I smile and pull the sheet back over top of us.