13

I never knew how special it makes me feel when he uses my first name.

I sit at dinner a bit uneasy. I used concealer to cover out the redness of the slap, apparently my skin is way more sensitive on my face. There's only a bit of red now, not as much as before.

"Isn't it exciting?" Maci gushes as she looks to the bright lights on the ceiling. I completely blanked her out for a minute so I have no idea what she's been going on about.

"Sorry what?" I ask. She rolls her eyes, if she's mad she doesn't show it. It seems she's eager to repeat the news to as many people as possible.

"The boys from the boarding school near us are attending our dance." She repeats with a pleasant sigh.

She couldn't mean...

"Which school?" I ask without letting my panic show.

"Morrison Boarding School." She delightedly let's the name slip from her tongue, however this only makes me want to get in as much trouble as possible so I don't attend that dance.

Zola's stupid fuck boy will there. What was his name? Oscar?

"I am not going to that dance." I declare as I poke at my lasagna. Maci gives me a mischievous smirk as she holds back a laugh.

"I know your heart beats for Mr. Howell but-"

"What?" I stop her sentence. Does she think I...like Mr. Howell? No wonder she's been backing off this whole time. She hasn't commented on him for a few days.

"It's written all over your face. You're in love with him." Maci giggles as she takes a sip of her juice.

"Weren't you all over him last week?" I question.

She waves me off. "The past is the past. Plus, I don't like the way he's been putting his hair all messy and out of his face."

"I think it looks hot." I blurt out, I immediately cover my face from Maci. Did I really just say that?

She gasps. "I knew it."

----

It's finally time for me to go to my room. I throw my bag aside and scramble for my phone that I had left on charge.

The minute I turn it back on I'm flooded with messages. Random invites to parties and "We miss you" texts were all it consisted of. I scroll past them and find my mother's contact. I see a few missed calls from her, seven to be exact. I'm surprised she found time to call me more than once considering her job as a lawyer.

My dad just sent me one casual text. "There's no hope with dope lol. Stay safe at boarding school."

I roll my eyes at the embarrassing statement. My dad's such a nerd.

I look at my phone with hesitance. If I call, I'm leaving this boarding school forever. My finger hovers over my mother's contact number, and I can't bring myself to press it.

If I'm not completely sure why would I leave? I should make sure that there is no hesitance. I bite my lip, and decide to give it until the Autumn Welcome.

After that, I'm out of here.