38

I'm in the auditorium with a bunch of other girls for our class on manners. Zola is here as well, I hadn't seen her since the day I left for camp. She sits to the side, talking to the girl with the buzzed head.

This group, which consisted of four other girls, seemed to be filled with the troublemakers, was this an intentional decision? Would they be extra harsh on us?

"Silence." Mrs. Wickenburg says as she walks inside the auditorium accompanied by a tall woman. Behind them was Mr. C who looked a bit uneasy as he walked besides the tall woman.

Once they reach the front of the auditorium, Mrs. Wickenburg scans the group before she narrows her eyes. "Where is Ms. Lines?"

I suddenly feel bad for the girl, even if she did intentionally skip the lesson.

When none of us respond, Mrs. Wickenburg shakes her head. "Ms. Cara, please begin. I'll go find that delinquent." She says as she turns to walk out.

Once she leaves the tall blonde smiles. "Hello, I am Ms. Cara but from this moment on you will address me, and any other teachers in this auditorium as Madam and Sir. You cannot call us by our names. Failure to do so will end in punishment." She instructs with her hands folded in front of her. Mr. C doesn't look too impressed with this, but he doesn't say anything.

"I will start by telling you what we hope to achieve." Ms. Cara nods before looking around with her blue eyes. "By the end of next week, we will be having guests over at our school. While they evaluate the school, you will be assisting them. By the end of the day, you will be serving them a meal. There are five of you, I hope there is no trouble." She smiles brightly.

A girl raises her hand, looking a bit confused as she takes in the information.

"Yes?" Ms. Cara nods.

"So we're just gonna be servants?"

"No, do not ask such useless questions again, and if any of you say 'gonna' or any other slang, there will be consequences." Ms. Cara threatens. Before another word can be spoken the auditorium doors burst open and Mrs. Wickenburg enters dragging a girl by her hair, who cries out in protest.

We all silently stare in horror as they both are brought up to Ms. Cara. The girl (Ms. Lines?) is forced up the stairs of the auditorium as she tries pushing Mrs. Wickenburg off of her.

I squeeze my eyes shut in hopes of blocking this all out but her screams are too loud.

What is wrong with this school?

I hear the lock of a door and suddenly her screams are hidden by her banging on the attic door in protest.

"Since today's lesson was awfully disturbed, you all must write a five page essay on why coming to these classes are important, in order to make sure there are no repeats." Ms. Cara orders. We all shuffle quietly to get our papers, ignoring the banging from the attic.

--

The next morning, another girl runs out the office with a buzzed head. There is still some shock but less rumors.

I enter the classroom early again, this time Mr. C isn't there, instead it's Mr. Howell and Ms. Cara. They converse quietly but it seems Mr. Howell didn't like anything that came out of her mouth.

They both spot me as I take my seat. "Good morning."

Ms. Cara narrows her eyes. "Do you not know how to address your superiors properly?" She asks as I take out my notebook.