61

"He was like a song I'd heard once in fragments but had been singing in my mind ever since."
-Memoirs of a Geisha

Well, I didn't know what I was meant to say exactly when I showed up at the address. I did call her before I got here with the number she gave me on the back of the note. She wouldn't stop apologizing on the phone and honestly I didn't really want to hear all that. I just told her I wanted to meet her, and only her. Frankly, I couldn't look at that little kid in the eyes at the moment.

I knock on the door twice, and wait for her to open the door. I hadn't seen Euri in two years, I barely remember what she looked like. She has brown eyes, brown hair, and a wide nose that she hated so much. She's was very insecure when we both were together, I really hope she's gained confidence.

The door opens and the overwhelming smell of oranges and spice hits my nose. In front of me, a woman who reached the tip of my nose with gray eyes stares at me. The blankness of the gray that stares at me makes me feel a bit uneasy.

"I'm here for Euri. Is she here?" I question the girl in front of me.

"Dan, it's me." She admits. No way, the wide nose she had is now smaller and pointed at the top, her face is tanner and more slimmed out. She looks nothing like how she used to.

"Euri? You look so different." I study her, she's probably wearing contacts but they look real.

"I've changed a lot, but you look just as you used to." She smiles up at me, I give her a smile too just so it's not awkward.

"Come in, I just left Elijah with the neighbors." Euri states, I look at both neighboring houses before I leave, I decide the one to the left is the one Elijah's in. The lights were in bright and laughter echoed from within it.

"Euri, how have you been?" I question her. I have never been in such an awkward conversation, what do I say to her?

"I've been fine, what have you been up to?" She asks me quickly, she coughs a bit and offers me a smile.

"Just been teaching. How's Elijah?" I ask her looking down at my fingers, I quickly glance back up at her.

"Well, the guy who I thought was his father left last month so I've been trying to get him distracted." She explains, she looks to the side. The subject is a bit too sensitive, and frankly I'm not up to discuss it.

"Well, hopefully he's full of joy now like you were. You always used to jump around and smile at the smallest things." I remind her with a small smile.

"I was such a child." She laughs as she remembers herself.

"Trust me, you weren't that bad." I assure her as I think of Omera. Omera wasn't the innocent type of child like Euri but the stubborn kind.

"Oh, I was. I used to giggle and say the stupidest things." She rolls her eyes with a small smile on her face.

"Well, that was one of the reasons I liked you back then." I say without thinking. I immediately want to take it back, she might think I'm still in love with her.

She blushes. "Oh well, I'm glad you didn't think I was stupid. Let's have some dinner." She states in a nervous tone, I follow behind her as she leads me to the small dining room where dinner is already set up.

As I sit down I see a picture of a child on the wall and almost faint. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I might be a father. I'm a father, and in love with an eighteen year old. What has my life come to?