Let's Talk About Love

"Mom, can I ask you something?" The young blonde said as she made her way down the stairs and into the kitchen where her mother was making dinner.

"Sure, what's up?" Carrie said, looking up from the vegetables she was chopping.

Her 16 year old daughter sat at the bar stool in front of her, grabbing a banana from the bowl beside her.

"Who was your first love?"

The question startled Carrie a bit, she hadn't ever really thought about that question.

"Well," she started, doing her best to get out the words she was trying to say. "I thought I loved Tony Romo, but after meeting your father, I realized I didn't know what real love was before him. I thought I loved Tony, I told him I did hundreds of times, but it was never a love like I have for your father."

"How did you know you were in love with dad?" Madison asked, leaning on her elbows and waiting for her mothers story.

"Well, you just kind of know." Carrie smiled. "The moment I remember realizing I was in love with him, he was here in Nashville and it was the first time I took him to Capitol Grille." Carrie explained. She thought back to that night with a smile as she explained it to her daughter.

"So, he came flying at me from the other side of the rink and was ready to probably murder me right then and there, but Kyle appeared out of nowhere and threw him against the side..." Mike spoke, his voice full of excitement as he told his girlfriend the events of crazy game they'd had two days ago.

Carrie wasn't even listening to the words coming out of his mouth, she was mesmerized by his crystal blue eyes and his soft pink lips that were moving.

Before that moment, she'd never realized how in love she was with the man sitting across from her. She couldn't imagine ever being with another man besides him. She'd been introduced to him six months ago-she knew there was something special about him from the moment she saw him. They'd talked on the phone almost every single night since then, shared their first kiss a month ago on New Years, and were now finally spending a week together in Nashville while Mike was on break.

Listening to him talk, she realized all at once why it had never worked out with anyone else beforehand. He was special, he made her feel like the most amazing girl in the world, something she'd never felt before.

That night she realized that he was the one. She was utterly and completely in love with Mike Fisher.

"That's so sweet, oh my gosh Mom." Madison gushed. She loved her parents love story and couldn't wait to find that kind of love.

"When did you tell him you loved him?" She inquired before Carrie could answer.

"That night actually." Carrie smiled again.

"Goodnight princess, I'll see you in the morning." Mike kissed Carrie's forehead, holding both her hands in his.

"Goodnight." She smiled, looking up into his sparking blue eyes.

"Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite." Mike chuckled, kissing her softly.

"You too." She cooed back with a small laugh. Carrie kissed him once more before turning around to go into her bedroom.

Before she made it out of his grasp, she felt her boyfriend pull her back.

"I love you Carrie." Mike whispered, pulling her up against his body.

"I love you too." Carrie managed to get out, using all her power not to smile like an idiot.

He kissed her one last time before finally letting her go, going into the guest room.

Carrie smiled uncontrollably as she shut her bedroom door, unable to contain her happiness.

"Aweeee! That's even cuter!" Madison squealed. 

"Well he's pretty sweet." She blushed. He still gave her butterflies after almost 20 years of marriage.

"Was he your first, you know?" Madison hesitated, not knowing if it was too much to ask or not.

Carrie laughed at her daughters awkwardness. "Yes, We waited till our wedding night."

"Are you glad you waited?" Madison asked.

"Very, it made it much more special. Too many people do it just to do it and there's no love in it, it's much more meaningful and special if you wait. I wouldn't change a thing." Carrie told her daughter. She found it a bit odd to be talking about her sex life with her daughter, but if she could convince her to wait until she was married she'd be extremely happy.

"I hope I have a love like that one day." Madison sighed.

"You will, I promise." Carrie smiled.

She thanked God every day for her husband and the unconditional they love they had for each other. After 20 years, she still felt like the luckiest girl alive and hoped that feeling never went away.